100.4 Body temp In Milk Doe Nigerian Dwarf Goat

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
SHOULD I BE CONCERNED??
I am new to my goats and I have not seen this body temp since they came here last November.
I milked Gigi this morning and I wasnt getting my usual warm fuzzy from her, I took her temp and she is at 100.4 F
she normally runs 102 F It is a bit chilly this morning, Low temps low to mid 60's Which is about a 10 degree change here in Texas, Hig temps will be in the 90's F all week.

Yesterday they had sweet potato vine that was a new thing and not a huge amount.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Temps do flux. Check her later.....normally above 103 is a concern for an infection. She's below usual so keep her close & watch. Any chance cycling? Temp change & less milk?

A rumen change can affect them, and lower temp. Sweet potato vines are generally safe but, if not used to them may create temporary change. Baking soda, some hay she's used to....keep watching & let us know.

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Temps do flux. Check her later.....normally above 103 is a concern for an infection. She's below usual so keep her close & watch. Any chance cycling? Temp change & less milk?

A rumen change can affect them, and lower temp. Sweet potato vines are generally safe but, if not used to them may create temporary change. Baking soda, some hay she's used to....keep watching & let us know.
I had to go to work, but my husband kept an eye on her. She is moving, chewing cud, and feels warmer tonight. I am going to do a full look over get a tape weight and temp when I put them up and give her probiotics

Yes she could be cycling (I had not considered a temp flux for that but it makes perfect sense now that you say that). She went into heat when we got the buck that was August 4 ( they are not in the same area, but close) She was moving the fence line like Olivia Newton John in the ending of Grease :oops::lol::lol::lol:

She did have a drop in milk from 1 full qt jar to the rim to the 24 oz line and was a little irritable this morning. I only milk once a day she is still with her babies they are 6 months old and she still nurses them once or twice throughout the day. she has free access to baking soda and goat minerals. I give them alfalfa hay when it is raining because they don't leave the barn. I will keep some in with her at night to keep her chewing.

Thank you so much this makes me feel better
I am new and everything on the internet says if you turn your head your goat is dead / basically.
I just want to make sure they are healthy and happy.

Again Thank You!

tjo804

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
102.4 tonight I will get another in the AM
I could be hovering so thank you for calming me.

I do think she is overweight I am not sure how to deal with that She came here chunky and pregnant.