3 week old Jersey heifer coming on friday! =) She's here ***PICS

codymax2

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok so Lucy is still doing great! Yay! She is getting a little pushy after bottles? What is the correct and nice way to tell her to piss off! hahaha And Also when should I up her feeds? She is getting 2qts 2X a day and is eating her grain, drinking water, and munchin a little hay. She is still acting starving after her bottle now so I was thinkin to add a third bottle. She leads like a charm and is just plain fun! She stops a little but with a very little pull gets going to follow :)

redtailgal

Reaction score
YOu can add a third bottle at noon, if you want. Add it only half a quart at a time though.

I dont do the noon bottle, instead I switch to feeding milk out of a bucket in the morning and evening, and at noon, I take them grain in the bucket.

If she is getting pushy after a bottle, it is time to switch her to a bucket. Mix her bottle as normal but put the milk in the bucket. Let her suck your fingers and ease your hand down below the surface of the milk. Another method is to float the bottle nipple on top of the milk in the bucket.

HOLD on to the bucket, and when she butts at it, take it away for a couple minutes.

If she butts at you, you need to push her away. A mother cow runs her baby away for a little while after he misbehaves. You do the same, push her away and ignore her.

lee&lyric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
codymax2 said:
She is going to be our very own family milk cow :) So excited! We bought 9 acres and plan to have a little farm for our own personal use and enjoyment. I was sooo scared of scours but she has never acted like she didn't feel good or didn't want to eat so I think it's just a matter of getting her adjusted, whew! Never deal with any kind of cow in my life. We are enjoying her sooo much!
How precious. We're right behind you (well, Lee may have dealt with cows before). This whole farm thing is new to me. Heck, we haven't even taken physical possession of our land yet. Still popping palmettos so we can pull our home on the land and get busy. Your story is so encouraging to me. I'll have to subscribe.

Thanks for sharing.

Lyric

lee&lyric

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
redtailgal said:
I am the non-smokin, picture takin, goat lovin, blunt-speakin, gun-totin, REDNECK CHIC OF BACKYARD HERDS! Yup, thats me.
See my pics at : http://www.wix.com/iliveinazoo73/mysideofthelens#!
I can't wait to see the pics. redtailgal you've got me :lol: with that siggie. Oh and don't think I won't be keeping in mind the advice you've given the OP. Spot on, thanks.

codymax2

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Funny thing :) We haven't yet either!! Taken possession =P We have her in a residential neighborhood till friday when we move to our 9 acres!! WOOOOHOOOO! It is most fulfilling and just awesome! We have a couple of dairy does coming too and chickens soon to follow! I wish you the best, and tons of fun in your new adventures! And the people here are awesome for helping :)
lee&lyric said:
codymax2 said:
She is going to be our very own family milk cow :) So excited! We bought 9 acres and plan to have a little farm for our own personal use and enjoyment. I was sooo scared of scours but she has never acted like she didn't feel good or didn't want to eat so I think it's just a matter of getting her adjusted, whew! Never deal with any kind of cow in my life. We are enjoying her sooo much!
How precious. We're right behind you (well, Lee may have dealt with cows before). This whole farm thing is new to me. Heck, we haven't even taken physical possession of our land yet. Still popping palmettos so we can pull our home on the land and get busy. Your story is so encouraging to me. I'll have to subscribe.

Thanks for sharing.

Lyric

codymax2

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok will do :) I didn't want to be mean but she really does need to learn not to pester after a bottle she's butting me and stickin her head right up my butt after bottles =P
redtailgal said:
YOu can add a third bottle at noon, if you want. Add it only half a quart at a time though.

I dont do the noon bottle, instead I switch to feeding milk out of a bucket in the morning and evening, and at noon, I take them grain in the bucket.

If she is getting pushy after a bottle, it is time to switch her to a bucket. Mix her bottle as normal but put the milk in the bucket. Let her suck your fingers and ease your hand down below the surface of the milk. Another method is to float the bottle nipple on top of the milk in the bucket.

HOLD on to the bucket, and when she butts at it, take it away for a couple minutes.

If she butts at you, you need to push her away. A mother cow runs her baby away for a little while after he misbehaves. You do the same, push her away and ignore her.

codymax2

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Crap...literally! She has been doing fine ploppy poops, tonight I went out to feed her and saw green foamy poo, so I'm thinking coronavirus. Now what? She is still alert happy crazy eating. Same treatment ..... making sure she doesn't get dehydrated? And waiting for the poos to firm up. We are moving soon and will not have the internet :(

redtailgal

Reaction score
Yes, back to square one.

Get a fecal done if you can, and treat her for coccidia (coccidia is more likely than corona)

go really slow in reintriducing her milk this time.