3 week old little girl

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My little girl is 3 weeks old. I got her when she was 2 weeks old and was told to put her on the replacer. Well that made her have the runs and she just was not herself. I put her on whole cow's milk/water and she has been great all week till today. She has the runs again. I gave her a little sweet feed to give her something extra. She would not take her bottle at lunch or dinner tonight. She just seems like she has an upset tummy. What should I do? Is it too early for feed? She won't even eat hay either. I don't want her to dehydrate. Thanks for any help.

Thomas423

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
When I got my "bottle baby" pygmy, we found a local milk goat farmer who sold us goat milk by the gallon. Ask around. Our local feed store gave us the farmer's name and number.

Good luck with the little one.

JerseyXGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would give 2-3cc's of pepto. My babies didn't start on food till about 2 weeks ago and they are 9 weeks old. The nibbled but didn't really eat. I didn't dilute the whole milk either, that can cause digestive upset.

I had them on milk replacer when we got them at 4 days old and had nothing but problems, switched to whole milk and added 2cc's to every bottle till they had normal poos. How much and how often are you feeding? Sometimes to much to often can cause upsets as well.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
I would suspect cocci and treat accordingly with DiMethox 40% (BTW - 3 weeks of age is when we begin our cocci prevention on our kids because it is the most common age for symptoms to begin).

goat lady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It has been a sad morning. We woke up and she was gone. So I have been pretty upset this morning.

She was drinking 5-8oz out of the bottle and last night she did eat the hay that was in with her, but usually she is up by 6am and calling out to me, so I usually would feed her the bottle about 7am. I woke up at 7:15am and knew something was wrong. I have heard different stories on how old they should be when taken away from their moms. My other two were older when we got them so I guess I should stick with older ones. After a week of having her... I had fallen in love. :(

Thanks for the advice.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yellowrosebouquet.jpg

Latest posts