4 month old buckling with thick green liquidy poo? :(

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that is food related. DH didn't know better and fed 2 of our boys grain (which he has never eaten) rather than the usual alfalfa pellets for their dinner. On of the bucklings is fine, but the other has had diarrhea for 48 hours now.

I have kept re-sorb in his water with some pedialite so he isn't dehydrated. He has been eating and drinking normally (with his regular ration of alfalfa pellets) for over 24 hours, but no change in the potty situation! The first day we gave him a round of probios and some pepto to calm his tummy and he started looking so much better! (He was looking quite queasy.) Today after no change, we bumped up to using a tsp. of endosorb to try and dry up his poo, but no luck.

He has minerals free choice, food laced with deccox crumbles, current on CD/T and he is still active and basically normal after we give him the tummy meds. He is a little hunchy when he is standing still and not eating, but will follow me around and 'talk' to me like normal. His eyelids are still super pink so I am cautiously optimistic about it not being a worm issue...

Any ideas on how I can clear up his little hieney??

ETA: Gross, but it is about the consistency of a thinned down pudding. Not liquid, but still pretty runny.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
:( Don't have any. I can order some through vetserv, but even if I have it overnighted it won't be here until Tuesday! Ugh! We have a 24 hour vet nearby, but they won't prescribe any without a visit but they never know anything about goats so they probably won't be able to treat him anyhow.
There is a livestock vet about an hour away but we won't be able to ask him until Monday.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
If it's from the grain, it should clear itself up within another day or two. The pepto should help, as well as keeping him hydrated, and giving him some probiotics.

themrslove

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thanks, Ariel! Hoping it firms up, soon! Sad to see the little guy feeling so blech!

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'd want to give baking soda as well. I usually don't get worked up over dietary scours if they aren't acting off and it doesn't last more than a day, but acidosis from grain overload is nothing to fool around with. The baking soda will help his rumen pH get back to normal and won't hurt anything to give.