4 year old male pygmy goat sick

mjgh06

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am glad your guy is doing better. Our first goat a wether died from UC - at the time I knew nothing about it and neither did the vets in our area. I took it on myself to learn everything about it after that. Apple Cider Vinegar 2cups per 5 gallons of water keeps UC from forming. I add it to our automatic waterers once a week for our bucks and have never had a problem since. Also a cranberry block helps - they sell these at TSC for bucks.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
plasiter67@gmail.com said:
It has been several months, and my goat is back in good spirits and his feisty personality has returned. I used the red cell and probiotics. He hated it, and it was a struggle getting in the last few doses in the week. They are now on orchard grass and grazing in my garden. I try to give them citrus daily, they really like the lemons better than tangerines!! He is still thinner than prior to illness, but such a happy guy. Thank you for all the suggestions!
I lost a wether to UC so I am glad to hear that yours is doing good. Feeding my bucks is something I always worry about and since I don't do grain I can't get the ammonium cholride down them. I am going to try the citrus and see if they like it. I never thought of that.

I was feeding my wether almost entirely wheat hay, which is really high in phosphorus. I have since moved my boys back onto alfalfa with a leaf of wheat every week or so.

Thanks for the idea about the citrus. I can't grow them where I am but being that I am in California it is a pretty inexpensive fruit most of the time.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
babsbag said:
My goats LOVE acorns and oak leaves. But I can see where they might compromise and already sick goat. We cut down oak trees for fire wood and let the goats strip them for us. In CA where I live there is no possible way that most goats owners could keep oak trees out of the pastures without clear cutting. They are about the only native tree we have other than digger pines. Our goats live and thrive on them. And acorns are just the added pleasure of fall. Every one that falls off a tree ends up in goat mouth.

I see them on the NO NO list all the time, but maybe they are different oak trees, IDK.

Mine too, they eat a ton of the native scrub oak and I've never had a problem. :idunno

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
babsbag said:
Thanks for the idea about the citrus. I can't grow them where I am but being that I am in California it is a pretty inexpensive fruit most of the time.

Too bad I can't ship you some, I have about 30 citrus fruit trees on my property!!! :lol:

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
WhiteMountainsRanch said:
babsbag said:

Too bad I can't ship you some, I have about 30 citrus fruit trees on my property!!! :lol:
I am jealous. When we lived in the bay area I could grow citrus and just about every other fruit. Stupid me wanted to move to an area where it got hotter in the summer so I could have a nicer garden...and colder in the winter, but I didn't think about that.

Latest posts