$400 for jersey heifer

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A heifer calf can be born a single and still be a freemarten. I have found several of them in my AI work that the owners were positive that they were born singles. What happens is that they were conceived as twins, and the male calf died in utero and was resorbed by the cow. The male hormones that the male calf produced in the few weeks of sharing the uterus caused the heifer to become a freemarten.

It is very easy to tell if a calf is a freemarten. Take a lubricated pencil and insert it on a 45 degree angle into the vulva. If it goes in about 4 - 6 inches, she's not a freemarten. If it stops at about 2 - 3 inches she is one. Don't force the pencil, and be sure to use the blunt end with the eraser to probe the heifer. This works for very young calves. As they grow, you need to increase the # of inches that you insert the pencil.

Forgot to mention---After inserting the pencil at a 45 degree angle, you will need to raise the back end of the pencil up to parallel with the ground. If you continue at the 45 degree angle you will hit the top of the vulva and it will stop, giving the impression that she is a freemarten.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok so not a free Martin. :) I pick her up tomorrow. I thought about two but he didn't cut price enough for two.

He has one that is 3 weeks and 3 that are around 1-2 weeks. The 3 week old is started on grain. He gives some 12% grain from a local feed store but told me to get creep feed so I got 14% protein. He also only feeds 2 pints per feeding 2 times a day and this is raw milk from his jerseys, not milk replacer. So I am worried that she isn't already on milk replacer and different grain so am I setting myself up for a sick calf?
I also didn't know what milk replacer to get. I have read that it should be based on milk protein not soy but that is all I could find. I found a 50lb bag for $92 but really can't afford that right this minute so I got Unimilk by MannaPro. Is that going to be ok? I also have read in many places to feed 2 quarts twice daily and he is feeding considerably less. He also said to get some cored and mix it in bottle for 21 days?

I got some electrolytes, one called bounce back and the other calledEntrolyte H.E. And Arrest with gelatin to slow fluid loss. In case of scours.

Any thing else?

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
See if he will sell you a couple gallons of raw milk. You can begin to mix it with the replacer and gradually switch her over to 100% replacer. This would be the safest in the long run. Bear in mind that you are changing her from natural raw milk to replacer, and at the same time changing her to creep feed, along with moving her to a totally different environment.

You would be smart to search until you can find 100% milk protein replacer. There must be different feed stores in your area which carry it. The soy protein stuff is a recipe for disaster. Good luck!

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok will it say " milk protein as the first ingredient or something less obvious like:dried whey, dried whey product then soy protein isolate?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I got her. She is pretty for a cow. It got down to 27 last night. HOpefully she stays warm enough. Seller said she must be getting close to a month old now. I got her because she was the oldest and started on grain. He also said he only feeds her 2 pints a feeding. Twice a day. I have been slowly pushing that toward 2.5 pints. And he did give me two gallons of raw jersey milk for her. I havent noticed her eating much grain, yet. I gave her 2 pints of warm electrolytes when I got her home. Then since it has been cold I gave her a 1.5 pints of warm electrolytes again today at noon as well as her normal milk feedings.
image.jpg

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Whatever you do, DON'T overfeed her. More calves are killed by overfeeding than you would ever believe. Jerseys are a very small breed, and what works fine for a Holstein will overwhelm a Jersey. Good luck!

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is my first calf period. So all knowledge has come from Internet reading. The seller did tell me that jerseys die from over feeding.

He was feeding half of what everything I read says to feed. The things I read don't differentiate between Holstein, jersey or angus. Just 2 quarts twice daily or it could be spread out over 3 feeding but not more than that amount. but I'm trying to stay at the amount he did or just a bit more.

Im hoping the electrolytes I have been offering help with the transition and cold.

Robert Shon

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If this is a jersey you will need milk replacer with at a min. 20% but 25% protein is better. Scours are just a fact when you use replacer. Clean bedding, fresh water & a draft free shelter with as much sunlight (uv) as is possible during a day. Calves are fairly tough & after a couple days of bottle feedings try switching to a pail or tray, it will make your life Much easier ! Good Luck,

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Just an update. She survived and is doing well. I could see her growing.

She is a bit taller than my dexter heifer but not quite as wide. Still growing a bit. I hope to have her AI'ed next July or so for a spring 2017 calving.