4H steer question

Tacobug52

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I want to raise a steer for 4h next year, unfortunately I would have to pay for everything except a trailer. I’m going to start working in late August 16/h 16 hours a week is what my dad said so I’d make enough by December for the steer ($3,000 I think was the estimate) but I want to save for college and to possibly get a horse ( which I would also pay for). So I need help deciding if it’s worth it to get a steer it will take all my money from work and I don’t know what to do.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You may want to sit on that cash pay for college if that's your ultimate goal. $3k is a fraction of a semester's credits and a steer and horse are temporary and can wait. Imo, whether you leave with a diploma or not college will change you and will help you grow more than a 4h steer or horse can.

You could try finding a dairyxbeef cross from a dairy, (around where I was they were $150 on the bottle) but if saving for college is on your plan I'd be very, very conservative as these may work against you in the long run.

Tacobug52

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You may want to sit on that cash pay for college if that's your ultimate goal. $3k is a fraction of a semester's credits and a steer and horse are temporary and can wait. Imo, whether you leave with a diploma or not college will change you and will help you grow more than a 4h steer or horse can.

You could try finding a dairyxbeef cross from a dairy, (around where I was they were $150 on the bottle) but if saving for college is on your plan I'd be very, very conservative as these may work against you in the long run.
That makes sense I would also be auctioning the steer off at my local county fair because it’s for 4H so I’d make profit from that. I also only have 3 more years left in 4h and raising a show steer has been a goal of mine for a few years.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Haven't raised a steer or done 4H so there's that, but I'd do the steer and auction at the county fair (or state fair if your steer is really nice and you can). Take that money and either save or repeat. Sadly the horse probably won't earn you much. I come from hunter/jumper horses so I love horses and trained them, but not now.

Tacobug52

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Haven't raised a steer or done 4H so there's that, but I'd do the steer and auction at the county fair (or state fair if your steer is really nice and you can). Take that money and either save or repeat. Sadly the horse probably won't earn you much. I come from hunter/jumper horses so I love horses and trained them, but not now.
Ya that’s what I was thinking, just do the steer and then whatever money I get from the auction save the amount I need for the next animal and then the rest for college