A few kid questions

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I want to separate baby at night and milk mama in the morning. She is three weeks and has been gaining 2# per week (Nigerian dwarf) I don't have any other kids. Could I put her in a medium sized dog kennel in the stall?

Also, she has been picking at mamas food. When do I need to offer her her own kid grower in a creep area? Would the kennel also serve as the creep if I blocked the door small enough?

Thanks

Suburbanfarmer

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I did that for one of mine and it worked great. I put the baby in the kennel in the same stall with the adults.
I also only ever just let them eat with the adults out of the same feeder and gave them a small bowl with a handful of feed in the kennel at night.
-K

SassyKat6181

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well I've done the kennel two nights in a row. First night great....moms udder was full in the a.m. and I milked out 3 cups. This morning, one side was soft and one side was full......she mustve figured out how to nurse through the kennel. Its one of those wire kind. :p Where there's a will, there's a way

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
HA!!!!!!

No kidding where there's a will there's a way. You're going to have to put something solid up against the wire door so the teat can't fit through.

Other than that, it sounds like a great way to separate Mom and Kid.

Had to laugh out loud at that. Can you imagine the maneuvering going on??

DonnaBelle