A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are your temps there in the middle of your winter? Here we are having heat advisories all over the country, alternating with rain and drought in different areas.

We are in Texas right now for the next week or so, then returning to California for DR. appointments, money saving for next ranch jobs, and more packing. This time I will start packing up the items I love and plan to bring with me to live with here. Some crystal and china too.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
What are your temps there in the middle of your winter? Here we are having heat advisories all over the country, alternating with rain and drought.
Hi Ridge, It varies in our district, +2/ -10c. right now we are in the minus range every day, it is also very dry and they expect a dry Spring.T.O.R.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A dry spring doesn’t sound too good. I’m in drought now, had to dry lot my sheep, and start feeding hay.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
In northeast Texas we have gotten more rain. 3 1/2" the day we arrived, and another 3" a week ago. Th ponds are all full, and the grass is good.

Our fences (75" high wire) are almost finished. We decided to just have the fence installers finish the entire fence instead of doing part of it ourselves. They are pulling the wire tighter than we could and the fence will keep out hogs. We can start moving in earnest now. It will take another several loads for our equipment and the final corral panels that are currently in use. However, having those tall fences up on the 15 acres was the main goal before the move. We have an L shaped property running along the Hwy. We fenced in the short leg and are leaving the remaining 30 acres mostly in Bahia moved with some Bermuda hay. Cody, our land tenant, is happy to continue his lease on those 30 acres and just bale hay there. We will work out the lease in hay and that solves the problem of finding, purchasing, and hauling in those huge round bales for winter feed.

We were going to put in a generator, but it is on hold until we finish paying for the fence. Going back to California broke from fencing costs and barn roof repair, but ready to save up more $ for next round of improvements. Next up - tree trimming and removal of dead trees around house before next series of storms this winter, then generator and propane tank installation. Once we are here, we will put in the front yard fence in 5' wrought iron. That will be decorative and hold 11 year old Anatolian Rika. She has signaled she is ready for at least partial retirement to house and yard dog.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'gay, sorry I was unable to give you all a heads up, things are a little chaotic in my life at the moment. Next program will be one of my most interesting I think. It's our local Postmaster and we will journey through his life and his decision to settle in our village....T.O.R.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, as I said earlier ,life is pretty chaotic at the minute. Thank you Jan and Bay. I have edited the story because as printed it was so personal.However I will update the tale as it devolops, but I will leave each update for just 24 hours before removing it again. I am amazed that I wrote the origional in the first place because prior to now I have never exposed myself to such a degree.....Hope you understand...T.O.R.

Last edited:

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
God Bless you... I love it..... Life is made for living, and though your dear Jenny is gone, you are still here... and should have as enjoyable a life as you have left be it 2 days or 22 years.... Company is nice no matter the age if you have someone that is on the same "wave length" as you are. The fact that she has sheep, so well understands the life, is absolutely wonderful.
I'm jealous !!!! Would like to find someone with similar interests like you have... and the flirting is an added spice!!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I MISSED IT! My computer was shut down and packed for a week until we got home from Texas.

It sounds like you are getting out and about and may have found someone with the same interests. Hope it works out for you. :hugs

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
I MISSED IT! My computer was shut down and packed for a week until we got home from Texas.

It sounds like you are getting out and about and may have found someone with the same interests. Hope it works out for you. :hugs
Hi Ridge, maybe have an offline chat with Bay or Jan, It was way too revealing, I may have to phrase it so you read betwen the lines, but you girls are perceptive enough to get what is going on without spelling out every detail (lol).T.O.R.

Last edited: