A NEW DIRECTION FOR THE OLD RAM

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Talked to Baymule. Sorry about your trouble but there is still hope. Just hang in there.

She said you are considering a trip to the US next year. :weee We will be in Texas by then, but if you want to travel around, we can probably take some time to drive you.

Some forum members starting on the east coast -
Farmerjan is in Virginia. She and her son breed cattle and raise hay. Her son breeds horn sheep for the game ranches.
Mini Horses is in Virginia. She breeds dairy and meat goats. Also some poultry.
Purplequeenvt is in Kentucky. She breeds fiber sheep and sells specialty fiber.
Rachelshaven is in the south too. She breeds dairy goats.
Mike and Teresa CHS are in Tennessee. They breed Katahdin sheep and sell lambs.
Baymule, Devonviolet, Margali and I are in Texas
(The majority of the big sheep auctions and packing facilities are in Texas so that might be something you would like to visit in Texas.)*
Sage Hill raises some sheep - her focus in on training herding dogs.

Heading north in California I can get you introductions to several commercial sheep breeders. They are not on our forum.
Wes Patton taught sheep husbandry at Cal State Chico until he retired. He breeds and raises both black head and white dorpers as well as Dexter cattle. Dexters are a small breed of dual-purpose cattle. Both his sons are involved in the sheep industry, one of them teaches at Chico. Wes is well known for his top quality Dorpers, and sells quality breeding stock as well as commercially to the packers. He uses livestock guardian dogs for protection and does rotational grazing.
Jim and Eileen Hansen are sheep breeders who also breed goats and hogs. Eileen also trains herding dogs. The Hansens produce and sell their products at Farmers markets in several cities in northern California. They have private clients who buy from them direct. I am not sure if they still sell to the packers or if their own clients now take up all their production. They started with Dorset sheep and Jim has now branched into Dorpers. They also use livestock guardian dogs for protection.
*If you are interested in touring a slaughter facility while in northern California, I can put you in touch with someone who can arrange that too.
Circling east to Utah, I can also give you an introduction to Travis Blackburn. He farms different types of hay and feed grain. He raises high quality White Dorper breeding stock, as well as running commercial sheep for the packers. He trucks his commercial lambs to north Texas for slaughter.
The Smalleys, father and son, also raise Dorpers in Utah.

Actually, if there are any sheep breeders you want to visit here, you have only to contact them, and most are happy to have you come visit. So excited for you to come to the States!

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi, you folks are so wonderful.I am overwhelmed by your responce and generosity. My sister is going to farm-sit for me while I am away....On the other thing (you will know what I am talking about.) The crisis has passed and we are moving forward at a slower pace, more like "friends/buddies" is the term I think you use up there. We had lunch at my place with her son and his partner yesterday and we had a chat on the phone last night ,we are going to meetup at Canasta after I do the radio program tomorrow. I think I see good signs going forward (slowly).T.O.R.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs Hope all goes well. Taking your time is a good thing.
Thank you Ridge, the support you all have given me has been absolutly amazing. I am forever in your debt and I am so looking forward to meeting as many as i can. (However it may take more than one trip ,but I am up for that as well.}....T.O.R.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
It takes more than a lifetime to see our beautiful country. We still haven't seen everything we want to see, and we try to hit different parts when we go. Here are some of our bucket list places:
Montana, the Badlands of the Dakotas, the Appalachian Mountains, the deep south and it's old plantation homes, northern Utah, the northeast coast, New Hampshire, Maine etc., also the interior of Alaska. Some other places have slipped from our list because as they have become crime infested. I have no interest in going anywhere that I won't feel safe. And a lot of the museums that I would have loved to spend days in when younger I can no longer face the idea of that much time on my feet and ankles! LOL

Each time you come back to the US, we will try to get you somewhere else to see!

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day friends, in a couple of hours I will be on the radio again 10.00am AEST.If you have not joined me before hear is the link. https://braidwoodradio.com.au/live-stream/ each nprogram I endevor to give a "shout out " to those of you on the web. Todays special guest is our local postmater ,a man of mystery to some but after today locals will know a lot more about him I am sure...It's going to be a fun episoide i'm sure.Don't forget its podcast again as is all the previous programs https://braidwoodradio.com.au/podcasts/listen-again/# T.O.R.

Last edited:

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, well we finally had a shower of rain last night only 4.5 mls, but enough to encourage the Native species to emerge from the standing dry and mulch layer from last season. This morning I ran some ewesand lambs into the yards to do some cleaning up ,foot trim and eartag the lambs.In amongst them is an outstanding Ram lamb who will be joined to the elite 4th gen ewes next year.Photo tomorrow ,did not have a phone with me......The other matter is "bubbling along" not sure exaltly where it stands but at least we are speaking to each other....T.O.R.

The Old Ram-Australia

Herd Master
Reaction score
G'day folks, new photos taken today.This stunning young rams will go to the 3rd generation ewes next year

Hope you all enjoy..T.O.R.

Attachments

• IMG20230823113434.jpg
    IMG20230823113434.jpg
    398 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG20230823113302_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG20230823113302_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG20230823113439_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    IMG20230823113439_BURST000_COVER.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 61