Adopted 2 Doe Lop Ears - Help!

Bunnywood

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So, I decided that, with all the room I've got, I should get some bunnies.

I spent hours at the local Humane Society (they didn't know much about rabbits) testing our pairs of bunnies that could work well together. Before joining this forum I read that bunnies like to, at least, live in pairs and perhaps will bond. All of the pairs we tried seems to get agressive from the get go. Except for one pair. 2 lop eared ladies. They didn't fight, there was an obviously dominant doe and a very submissive doe. So, I took them home. They live in a free-range outdoor set-up with 5 chickens (who seem to be totally freaked out by the bunnies).

Here's the issue: the alpha doe aggressively nips and chases the other doe out of her area, wherever that may be. It's only been a day...should I worry or give it some time and hopefully they will adjust?

Thanks a million.

Oh! And here they are (they are super sweet and don't mind being held):
296898_10150303727672106_518312105_8148471_1384891309_n.jpg

298686_10150303722907106_518312105_8148447_1222635605_n.jpg

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
:welcome from New Jersey

Congratulations on your new bunnies. What sweet rescues. I think it will take a little bit for them to work things out. Just do what you are doing. Keep monitoring them. As long as the dominant doe isn't chasing down to fight but just chasing her from her spot, it just sounds like they are working things out. It takes time for rabbits to adjust to one another. Even sometimes they don't like each other but just tolerate. But just be cautious and keep monitoring them. Hope they settle down soon. :)

Petit Jean Bunnies

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would recommend keeping them in different cages and allowing them to play together. Bunnies may get a little lonely, but it is better than having them fight, even if it is not major fighting. Bunnies will usually have some territorial issues unless they have been together since birth or a very young age. I would get a play pen and then just let them play together in it during the day for a little while.

I hope this helps! They are the cutest little bunnies, you have a fine eye for cutesy bunnies!

Good Luck!

Bunnywood

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Update! The buns are getting along great!

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. So glad that they have settled down in their new home.

K