Age?

Aidenbaby

Just born
Reaction score
Is there a way I can tell the difference between a 7 month old rabbit and a 3 month old one? I am incredibly new to rabbits and the lady tha twe bought her from didn't know the correct breed and so that makes me concerned that she may not have told me the correct age too.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, a lot of it is just experience, knowing the breed and how it looks at certain ages. Generally, though, a 3 month old is still growing, and looks it. Only the really big breeds would still be growing at 7 months. The most obvious thing I can think of would be the claws. 3 month olds have claws that taper more, and curve more. There is very little claw past the pink "quick" on a 3 month old, and what is there is very sharply pointed. 7 month old claws are thicker, and a bit straighter, it is usually much easier to trim them without cutting too close. Even if the claws have been trimmed, those of a 7 month old would be thicker and blunter than those of a 3 month old.

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
also if anything but a flemish, i would think it to be sexually mature, testicles for bucks, easy to find vaginas for does

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
currycomb said:
also if anything but a flemish, i would think it to be sexually mature, testicles for bucks, easy to find vaginas for does
I can usually find testicles on 3 month old bucks in any of my five breeds. They may not be fully developed, but they are there. A lot of does are capable of conception at about 12 weeks; anatomically, there isn't much difference between a 14 week doe and one that is twice that age - at least, not that a newby would notice. :)

Aidenbaby

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. She seems to be a Californian/New Zealand cross. I'm thinking of breeding her soon but I didn't want to breed her too young.