Alaskan's Journal

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A friendly goose? Friendly ganders? That ought to be interesting. How do you tell males from females?
In this breed, you can't. Only very subtle differences. We have tried putting food dye on the ganders and it wears off pretty quickly... even when it doesn't get wet.

They are still growing, so I haven't wanted to put on leg bands. But at this point their growth has slowed, and I think I need to put leg bands on only the boys.

The boys are a week older, so there WAS a big size gap, but that is closing now. At adulthood the males are only 2 pounds larger. Pretty sure that small of a difference in an almost 20 pound bird, will not be noticeable.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
A friendly goose? Friendly ganders? That ought to be interesting. How do you tell males from females?
And... that is the only kind I have ever had!

Are you one of those people with bad geese experiences?

The geese at my grandparent's place liked me (hated my baby sis).

And the flock I ate were also fine. (Before I ate them... :lol: )

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
My geese will make a ruckus when they see me because they want me to let them out. But if they are already out, they don’t make a ruckus when they see me. Either way, they will make an even bigger ruckus when they see a stranger.

I’ve only ever had one gander that would attack me. Out of maybe 10 or 12 (?) ganders that I’ve had. Not a big control group. Does that mean Chinese ganders are better or worse than other breeds? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went fishing yesterday. We brought bride-to-be and her sister. 4 of my 5 boys and then myself.

But we only had the one good net! :lol:

Also, 2 good waders, 1 set that had almost as many holes as chicken wire... and we forgot the repaired set of waders! Oops!

Still, such great fun was had. And we got a good haul, more than enough for the wedding feast and some extra! And... we decided to keep 1 flat fish for a bit of variety. 24 Silver salmon.

Here is kid 3, he got off work early enough to help us out!
20240723_153623.jpg