Alfalfa pellets

stano40

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Here's how I mix it. Of course my neighbors probably think I'm wacko because I mix this all in a new kids plastic swimming pool with a new hoe to stir it all in.

This is the proportion's to what I mix

(1) 50# bag of whole oats
(1) 50# bag steamed barley (when they are in milk)
About 20% (I have a large scoop I use and put in 4 scoops full, about 20%) rice bran or wheat bran
(1) 50# bag calf manna
10% Boss

Sprinkle yeast flakes or what I like to do sometimes but not always is mix in blue seal feeds sunshine plus which has the yeast added into it. If I use the blue seal feed (sunshine plus) I mix in (1) 50# bag

I also started adding

(1/2) bag of beet pulp pellets
(1/2) bag of alfalfa pellets
1 50# bag of sweet feed (forgot to add that one in. Sometimes I'll split the bag in half per mixture.)

Stir it all up in the pool and shovel it into storage bins

I buy everything from TSC except the barley which I get from Blue Seed Feed store. TSC doesn't carry the barley in my area.

When we buy our feed we buy (2) 50# bags oat, barley (for milk production), sweet feed & calf manna. Then 1 bag of each of the other feeds we need. It should last a month with only 1 feeding per day and the hay and browse to supplement during the rest of the day.

So far everybody loves the mixture and is doing well on it. The babies gain good weight and the does in milk seem to produce better milk.

bob

Goatlady10

Just born
Reaction score
I am new at raising goats, but already can't imagine my life without them. :) I've got the free choice minerals down, but I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion how to free choice baking soda so it won't harden or clump. I don't have a barn, just two shelters for my 11 goats, mostly Boers and a three Nubians. Thanks

Oops! Just realized I put this in the wrong place. Disregard, I reposted it where it should be. Sorry.

Greendecember

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
stano40 said:
(1) 50# bag of whole oats
(1) 50# bag steamed barley (when they are in milk)
About 20% (I have a large scoop I use and put in 4 scoops full, about 20%) rice bran or wheat bran
(1) 50# bag calf manna
10% Boss

Sprinkle yeast flakes or what I like to do sometimes but not always is mix in blue seal feeds sunshine plus which has the yeast added into it. If I use the blue seal feed (sunshine plus) I mix in (1) 50# bag

I also started adding

(1/2) bag of beet pulp pellets
(1/2) bag of alfalfa pellets
1 50# bag of sweet feed (forgot to add that one in. Sometimes I'll split the bag in half per mixture.)

Stir it all up in the pool and shovel it into storage bins

bob
Wow, all the options! Thanks for the info. I find they don't like the commercial pellets much but will eat them if that is what they get. They LOVE corn chops. Maybe the mixture of whole grains will be better for them and they will like it better.