Alfalfa prices

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was wondering how much alfalfa is going for in your area.
Its going for around $8-16 for small square bales around my area

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
WOW! I thought the $4 a small bale it is going for here was bad. That is 40-50 lb bales. Where are you and how big are the bales?

These threads are great in that we can all get an idea of what is going on where.

I got mixed grass from my hay guy for $3 and alfalfa for $3.50. I think that is because I have been a regualr customer for years and buy 200-300 bales. CL has been showing $4-$5 for alfalfa or mix and $4 for mixed grass.

I saw alfalfa bales in TS for $16 for a tiny little bale, about 20 lbs and wondered who on earth would pay that?

SarahFair

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Tractor Supply was the tiny bales for $16...
I haven't seen one bale bought.

RamblingCowgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
$8-$10 for 60-70lb bales. It is all shipped in from other states to here in NE Oklahoma
It's around $6 for grass mix

KellyHM

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
:ep I wish alfalfa was that cheap here! It's $16+ for a 40 lb bale. :th Peanut hay is around $13 and coastal is around $7. Sigh...

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
SarahFair said:
Tractor Supply was the tiny bales for $16...
I haven't seen one bale bought.
Yeah, that's what TSC charges here too. But a 40# bag of alfalfa pellets is $11 and doesn't result in any waste.

pridegoethb4thefall

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Huh!! You guys thinnk you got it bad??

Round here, you cant touch a bale of all alfalfa for under $20.00 a bale! They weigh around 110 pounds, 3 string bales. 50/50 alfalfa and orchard grass mix bales cost the same.

Animals that require hay are very expensive to keep here, if you are feeding them anything high quality, that is. I cant buy it by the ton, even that is too expensive anyways...

Sinistershelly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Im in Colorado and for your average small bales, today I paid
6.99 for straw
11.99 for grass
12.99 for alfalfa
12.99 for mixed

and in case ya wanted to know, my bag of grain was 19 bucks :)

ThornyRidgeII

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
just want to pipe in on those small looking bales of alfalfa at TSC.. I picked one up before I lost my doe a couple weeks ago.. and well let me tell you just how compacted they are.. now granted 14.99 is steep, however, there is a ton of alfalfa in there.. and boyeeeee.. not one lick of it has went to waste.. I cut the top part of the package off and the placed it in a container and the goats go to town on that sucker every night when I let them out in the barn.. figure a splurge now and then is not that bad.. seeings to how my goats were very spoiled on alfalfa/grass/heavy on the alfalfa hay.. until this year when I found really good timothy grass/clover which they like but they porkers love their alfalfa.. and quite frankly I was impressed how compacted that bale was..