Alfalfa prices

SheepGirl

Master of Sheep
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
At Petsmart, they sell alfalfa "mini bales" that weigh 24 oz which cost $4.99. That is $1.50 per pound. WAYYY expensive! I always think of how much people without a source of hay get robbed every time they purchase hay in packages like this.

Prices for hay at the Westminster Hay Sale/Auction are:
Alfalfa: $5.10-$7.60/bale
Alfalfa mix: $4.20-$7/bale
Timothy: $4.60-$8.90/bale
Timothy large square: $40/each
Timothy mix: $2.55-$6.60/bale
Grass mix: $2.60-$8.10/bale
Grass mix round bales: $35-$57.50 each

Don't know how much bales weigh, but they all likely weigh at least 35-40 lbs. Sometimes we are able to get hay cheaper direct from a farmer, but only if we buy big lots. And since we only have a few sheep now and only need a few bales at a time, it costs $5 per bale for a small bale that weighs ~35 lbs (about $0.15/lb).

ETA: The bales at TSC that I've seen go for $16-18 weigh 50 lbs, which is about $0.32/lb. Not too good of a price, but better than Petsmart.

CrazyCatNChickenLady

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I got a full bale of alfalfa at the local feed store (N. California) for $19.99. I was pretty shocked since I haven't gotten hay since last year. They were running pretty low too. Its probably 100+ lbs. I can probably find it cheaper out in the farming and orchard towns nearby and will do that next time. I don't think I'll go through it that fast though and it's indoors too.

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I paid 16.50 I think for the last couple of bales, but around now we creep up to 18 or 19 since supply gets low. We are in central california.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
My hay guy charged $6.50 per square bale (about 60 lbs) and it didn't matter if it was grass, grass/alfalfa mix or alfalfa. He actually told me that grass hay takes a lot more because there are no stems and it takes more acreage to make a bale of grass hay compared to a bale of alfalfa hay. His grass hay is beautiful grass hay though and not one stem in it.

KinderKorner

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow I almost feel bad for complaining about my hay prices. :lol:

I'm paying $3.50 for grass, and $4 for alfalfa. 45# bales. Not real great stuff, just average.

I think thats crazy though, because a couple years ago I used to get it for $2.50 a bale for like 70# bales.

I can't imainge paying $10+ a bale. :ep
I can barely afford the animals now, no way could I afford them at that price. Horses eat a ton!

I live in prime hay country, and I have trouble locating good hay. I'm sure its worse in the dry states. eek.

I pay right around $10 a bag for grain. 50#

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
jodief100 said:
WOW! I thought the $4 a small bale it is going for here was bad. That is 40-50 lb bales. Where are you and how big are the bales?

These threads are great in that we can all get an idea of what is going on where.

I got mixed grass from my hay guy for $3 and alfalfa for $3.50. I think that is because I have been a regualr customer for years and buy 200-300 bales. CL has been showing $4-$5 for alfalfa or mix and $4 for mixed grass.

I saw alfalfa bales in TS for $16 for a tiny little bale, about 20 lbs and wondered who on earth would pay that?
OMG I would kill for those low prices. Luckily I use mostly my own hay but do buy Alfalfa bales for the Goats and they are around 80 pound square bales and cost from 10 -16 dollars a bale.

Vumani

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I live in southeast Idaho and bought alfalfa hay for $6.00 a bale for 65# bales just this last weekend. It was high quality hay certified weed free and very leafy. Last year I could buy the same thing for $3.00 from the same farmer. I am hoping this next year goes back down as obviously many of you do!

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow also! Some of those prices are great... wish it was that way around here.

Alfalfa small bales (a person can lift themself) are $10 to $12. You can find some for a little less if you buy by the semi load.

Grass and grass/alfalfa mix small bales start about $9 and go up according to quality and size of load also.

I'm thrilled that I shared a semi load last summer and got my alfalfa bales for $6 each. I've got plenty to get me through the winter and even sell some to help with bills.

kayzee

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I'm in Southern Arizona, the last small bales of Alfalfa we bought were 18.50 per bale. There's not a lot of land devoted to alfalfa, and it takes a lot of water, but they grow it almost year 'round and cut it nine times a year...seems like that might take the price down a little, but that's just wishful thinking. We don't have any pasture here, this is strictly desert, so what we feed is what we buy.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
We don't even have alfalfa for sale anymore around here. Hay goes for $3-4 a small square bale from a farmer, $8 at the feed store, right now. When Alfalfa was still available in early fall, it was $8 from a farmer and $12 at the feed store.