All your pics of VERY cute bunnies are really really tempting me!

Dutchgirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Nifty said:
If we go down the path I'll do my research, but off the bat, which breed would you recommend for these characteristics:

1) Friendly / calm
2) Very "cute"
3) Good egg layer (just kidding) ;)
I personally have only had Rexes and Satin/Rex mixes. I would NOT recommend Rexes, especially does. They have been bred for their luxurious fur and are not very friendly. Our Satin/Rex mix buck was very friendly but didn't really enjoy being held. His daughter, whose mother was a Rex, is fairly friendly but really doesn't enjoy being held and it's gotten to the point where we no longer take her to her pen for fear of getting huge scratches.

Before I was born my family did have Holland Lops, though. They are very, very, very, very cute and small. Apparently they are not very cuddly but they are supposedly sweet rabbits. We are looking to get one/two right now, actually, and are planning on breeding them. ;)
Otherwise I might say Dutch, I don't know a whole lot about them but what I've heard makes me think they're probably a nice breed.

Dutchgirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So, Nifty, have you decided yet? I'm sure your girls would love one.......

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Very tempting, but with the chickens, ducks, and all the other stuff we have going on, we're not sure if we should right now.

We were at the county fair last week and there were a TON of amazingly beautiful bunnies.

Chirpy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We've only had a few different rabbit breeds over the years but our absolute favorite was our mini-lop. She was the most loving, sweet, adorable bunny I've ever had (also the only one of that breed I've ever had so I honestly don't know if she was 'normal' in her personality or not). If we ever get rabbits again... it will be another mini lop.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Ya, we'd want to research the best combination of personality, looks, etc.

I don't know anything about them, but the lionhead rabbits look so dang cute!

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Nifty said:
I'll be honest. For some reason I have a bit of a fear of rabbits, hampsters, rats, etc. biting me. I'm not sure if it is because I was bit as a kid or something else, but those big ol' teeth kinda scare me.

What's funny: I'm fine holding really large snakes, but get a bit of trepidation about holding a hampster.

If we go down the path I'll do my research, but off the bat, which breed would you recommend for these characteristics:

1) Friendly / calm
2) Very "cute"
3) Good egg layer (just kidding) ;)
I have Holland Lops and Mini Rexes, they're pretty friendly and small, except for my Holland Lop doe, she's another story... But, if a rabbit is handled a lot from birth, then no matter the breed, they should be friendly. Smaller rabbits can sometimes be more skittish and energetic and larger rabbits tend to be more calm, but every rabbit has their own personality. The key is to get a bunny that's been handled A LOT. For cuteness, its all personal opinion. I love the lops though. Hopefully soon I will be getting some Plush Lops, they are not a recognized breed yet, but pretty much they have the velvet soft coat of the Mini Rex and the lopped ears of the Holland and Mini Lop. Well, do your research, and consider getting a bunny. If you have 1 or 2, then care for them is simple. Its when you get tons of bunnies plus babies, that it can get time consuming. They make awesome pets and don't make any noise, except for occasional foot stomping. Consider getting a rabbit, you won't regret it.

hollandloplover

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
If you start rabbits i would advise the holland lop they are good first time breeds! Heres some more temptation!
3967_july_31_2009_jordan_571.jpg

3967_july_31_2009_jordan_568.jpg

3967_july_31_2009_jordan_565.jpg

3967_july_31_2009_jordan_566.jpg

Oh come on u know you want one!
3967_july_31_2009_jordan_532.jpg

3967_july_31_2009_jordan_574.jpg

3967_july_31_2009_jordan_573.jpg

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

jodief100

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Ohhhh. The bunnies are so cute! I would love one but in my house those cute little fuzzy bunnies would be a two bite greyhound snack.

MiniRexGirl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I breed Mini Rex rabbits and my sister has a Holland Lop doe (that she is thinking about breeding in the future). Both breeds are very good and have great personalities. One of my Mini's will give "kisses" as will my sister's Holland! I also currently have some available for sale and so if you decide you are interested you just might like one of these. You can check them out at my website!