Ameraucana chicks? CAN ANYONE IDENTIFY THIS?

ddschicks

Just born
Reaction score
Hello,
so I ordered chicks from IDEAL poultry and they came in today. I had four ameraucanas, two welsummers, and two barred rocks. The barred rocks are black, and therefore easy to identify, and the welsummers are lighter brown so they also stand out. I assumed the other four were my ameraucanas. One, however, does not look like the other chicks and it is much darker. Is it the wrong breed, wrong gender, or just an EE?

Any ideas? does anyone else have pictures of ameraucanas and how they changed from chick to hen?

ddschicks

Just born
Reaction score
...my pictures did not work im guessing? how do you upload a photo on here? I googled how to make an image into a URL and a couple places said to use tinypic.com but I guess that doesn't work on here? is there an easier way to post pics?

Ol Grey Mare

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ameraucana from Ideal are going to be Easter Eggers -- because Easter Eggers are mixed breed birds there is often a great variance in their appearance as chicks and adults. The irony being that even in their description of the breed the give a nod to the often used misrepresentation of "Araucana" but then go on to blow the "breed description" of Ameraucana that they claim their birds to be:
Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Egg Breed", are a multicolored breed. They have beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. They are often incorrectly called Araucanas, which have ear tuffs, are rumpless, and do not have a tail head which gives them a bunny tail appearance. Most of the chicks sold as Araucanas are really Ameraucanas, which are excellent, efficient producers of large eggs of many colors and shades including blue and green.

wishing4wings

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
If they are selling Ameraucanas without a specific color designated, then they are probably Easter Eggers (EEs) which are a hatchery version of Ams and tend to be very good layers. EEs can be any color, but usually have green legs. Look carefully at the faces. EEs usually have big puffy cheeks!

Oops, looks like Mare beat me to it!

ddschicks

Just born
Reaction score
well here are the pictures anyway. What is weird is that three of them are colored the same but one is different... oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_3608.JPG
    IMG_3608.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3609.JPG
    IMG_3609.JPG
    200.7 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3592.JPG
    194.7 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_3596.JPG
    IMG_3596.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 216

wishing4wings

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
They sure are cute. A brown chimpmunk pattern is very common, but they really can be just about any color. Depends on what the hatchery is producing. I have one from last year that is orange and white. The Welsummers I have gotten have been dark brown chipmunk as well.

BYCDebiD

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
IMG_20170301_114948119_crop_958x590.jpg
Of 9 so far (one hatchery and 3 separate occasions) zero have looked alike as adults. The gal made an effort to choose two that didn't look like my other chicks and she couldn't have made it any easier to tell them apart! The only thing they have in common is both have very long tails. The genetic diversity is amazing. The two in the current group (baby pic above) are still changing but:
IMG_20170420_095312154_crop_973x704.jpg

And
IMG_20170410_115413058_crop_590x591.jpg

Last edited:

aart

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
EE's can be different crosses, thus their slight differences as chicks.
EE and wellie both are chipmunk but legs color should tell the tale...
...wellie have yellow legs, EE have greenish/slateish

Veggan

Just born
Reaction score