Anemic doe

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I would suspect fluke or coccidiosis
I would agree liver fluke or cocci are both probably more likely, least ways in my population they would be. Do you routinely de-fluke twice or more yearly like we do? If preventative de-fluking up to date, maybe less likely. Cocci classically shows blood in stools though - though can be just failure to thrive I believe (only ever seen it with blood) . Only mentioned mycoplasma because I would hate it to be missed after losing Bramble. I don't think we get anaplasmosis over here, BTW, Mycoplasma ovis is thought to be tick borne too.

Girlies' Mum

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Anaplasmosis causes anemia. It often gives signs like worms or coccidia early. It is easy to treat, but a killer through anemia if not treated before the tilting point is reached.
very interesting.Thank you.

Daxigait

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Biting flies or ticks spread it here in MO. Late summer and fall are prime season for us. I learned this one hard too. Sorry about your Bramble.

Micky67

Just born
Reaction score
I have a question as I am new to goats, real new. If my goat/goats do not already have worms wouldn't the extreme cold keep them from getting them from grazing?

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We did the same and then backed off... went to a slower schedule.
I will ask GW for her notes.

GW said she did 5 days straight 10-12cc... then backed it down to 6cc every 3rd day... then reduced again 1x week.
At the point where she was we had nothing to lose. She was going to die. :( Our vet also was out of ideas.
But we believe it did save her life. Probios every day.
She was 160 lbs- kidded great no issues looked fantastic... we were also co parenting so she was not dragged down by nursing... it was a very stressful ordeal. She lost 60 lbs.!!!
One she transitioned back to eating hay and increased appetite... she gained back 30 lbs in one month.
Oct his year she even went to State Fair. Her udder bounced back... she looked beautiful. 2nd place udder in her aged doe class. :)
She's 8 this year!

It seems like after you did those several days she did have some recovery! Keep up with your vet, let them know all you do and the progression. Glad you have a vet. Some are not so fortunate.
Our vet is a real blessing, wonderful to work with and bounce ideas back and forth.[/QUOTE Our vet does not know if we should continue or not. Her and I are pretty much winging it. She is still up and eating hay like crazy. Do you think in a few days I should give her another dose of Red Cell? And how long do you think I should keep up the vitamin b 12?

terrilhb

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have to say I am more optimistic today. My doe Sara has been sounding horribly when she called. Not like her old self. Today when I went out she sounded like her old self. I pray it continues. I also did not see her today have her front legs go out from under her. I pray what I am doing is working. I thank you all for all your help.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH @Micky67 Can you provide a little more information? Like where are you located as you speak of extreme cold and grazing and typically the two don't really go together as extreme cold causes most plants to go dormant... In general terms, grass borne parasites are not generally a major issue with sub freezing temps. They go dormant in the environment until warmer weather returns. That being said, 99.9% of goats will have "some" worms present. It's a matter of "levels" of infestation. Please take a minute and visit our new member area and post an introduction so folks can welcome you properly. https://www.backyardherds.com/forums/new-member-introductions.17/ Also, please put at least your general location in your profile as it's generally very important info when asking for or offering advice/help. So please browse around and make yourself at home!