Animal rescues

Fainter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I recently had a bad experience with an animal rescue and wanted to warn people to be careful falling for a sob story and agreeing to take in someone else's animal that is no longer wanted.

A local animal breeder contacted me and told me that she had been contacted repeatedly by a woman who wanted someone to take over her pet rabbit. I agreed to talk to her and look at the rabbit. When she brought it over she talked in a rambling disjointed fashion for about an hour about all the things she does with the rabbit to make it feel happy and all of its requirements. I finally got out of her at the end that she was getting rid of it because her children lost interest and she was allergic.

She asked me if it was alright if she brought the children over from time to time to visit the rabbit and wanted me to notify her if it died so they wouldn't come over and find out that way.

The rabbit did nicely for about two weeks and then became listless and died in 24 hours. I called the woman as a courtesy to tell her and she went ballistic on me, even calling back a few hours later and ranting at my secretarty because I had buried it in the compost pile instead of next to Michael Jackson or something and wanted to come over and retrieve the body so she could erect a memorial to to it someplace. I also found out that the rabbit may have been much older than she told me.

I have not called her back on that because if she comes over now she will just cause an unpleasant scene and I don't need to deal with that.

I no sooner finished that saga than someone came over who wanted me to take two male fainting goats, since I have those. Having learned from that experience I refused, plus that would give me too many males running around and I don't relish have to fix them and have no place really to isolate them right away to make sure they don't have any diseases.

Be careful out there!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It has been my experience that most (but by no means all) of these animal rescue/animal rights individuals are quite disconnected from reality. They anthropomorphize all living beings, and cannot fathom that other creatures do not have the same feelings and rights as humans.

Most think that predators kill other animals humanely and quickly. This is most definitely NOT true. I have witnessed coyotes eating the flesh of calves, and pulling the intestines out of them, while the calf is bellowing and trying to get away. The coyotes could not care less if the calf is suffering.

Don't get me wrong, I hate to see any animal suffer needlessly, but many times things get carried way too far. For instance, some people feel that removing tails from sheep is inhumane. If they could see the suffering that a long-tailed sheep undergoes when it gets maggots under it's long tail, they would change their minds.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ranting at my secretarty because I had buried it in the compost pile instead of next to Michael Jackson or something and wanted to come over and retrieve the body so she could erect a memorial to to it someplace.
one day you are going to laugh hilariously over this. but i know that today is not the day. when you are ready to giggle let us know and we'll all have a knee slapper with you.

until then

oh geez - this is something. i believe that people are crazy. especially these kind of people. and its worse knowing that you were trying to HELP someone. i agree with jhm47 - little bun-wunnie, the dearly departed, was by definition livestock and sometimes they just up and die...and this gal, bless her heart, sounds a bit unhinged.

only one thing to do - dont answer her calls and lock the gate.

let us know when you're ready to laugh - or have to get a restraining order - we're behind you. someday i'll tell you about the rescue 'hard to place ham'....

:)

Fainter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I should have know to stay away from someone whose actual first name was ...... are you ready for this....... "BUFFY".

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Many years ago someone gave my father 5 chickens because their suburban neighbors were complaining about the noise, smell, whatever, I was a little kid at the time.

There must've been some miscommunication, because my dad brought those chickens straight into our suburban garage and killed them all and we ate them.

The people asked how were the chickens and my farmboy dad answered honestly.....that is when he found out that they thought they were giving him the hens for pets....

Could've been worse for bunny-wunny. Not long after the hens, we started raising rabbits for meat.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hee hee hee yep it could have been worse for bun-wunnie.. hee hee hee

i keep getting a laugh about the craigslist ads for people who advertise their livestock "for pets not for eating' like they have some jurisdiction over them once the money exchanges hands.

we have a couple of 'farm animal rescue' places around here - i'm tempted to show up with the truck and load up. but then we might be picketed if/when they do a follow up visit. hee hee hee

Fainter - i think you are an awfully good sport. hope that gal just forgets about you.

good luck!

Imissmygirls

Lonley for cows
Reaction score
I recently tried to GIVE away 5 leghorn roosters on CraigsList. The only response I got gave me the aura of cockfighting. I'll slit the darn birds' throats first. At least it will be merciful.
( anyone in eastern PA want chicken soup?)

Fainter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Supposedly you can sell the roosters to passing Mexicans. They will pay up to ten dollars each for a live bird. I'm not sure if they use them for fighting or not. They may use the bird as a practice for their fighting cocks and then eat them. ALso, Asians particularly like the darker plumage birds for eating.

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
most of them are out of their minds.

The main local dog rescue here has an anti hunting dog rule. If you adopt a dog from them that is a hunting breed you must sign a form saying you will never hunt it. And if you are caught doing so they can come seize the animal and any other dogs you have on site because using a dog to hunt is cruel to the dog. :barnie

Imissmygirls are they friendly roos? I wont keep a mean one but I had 16 roos going into winter, then the coyotes got most of them. Moving to the new farm though and always have room for more lol

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
nightshade said:
most of them are out of their minds.

The main local dog rescue here has an anti hunting dog rule. If you adopt a dog from them that is a hunting breed you must sign a form saying you will never hunt it. And if you are caught doing so they can come seize the animal and any other dogs you have on site because using a dog to hunt is cruel to the dog. :barnie
What?!?!?! They could come take my poodle when I tell him to "go get that mousie!" and he kills a chipmunk?? :smack