Animal rescues

nightshade

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I do also think that they could go ahead and butcher rescued farm animals to feed the homeless. Even sell the meat and use the proceeds to further fund their rescue. :p The important thing is that they are not neglected and abused, right?
yes and there are many rescues that tell you that you can not butcher and adopted farm animal, then they wonder why they can not adopt them out it is really frustrating. Especially when bad rescues, which there seems to be a lot more of in recent years, make it harder for the good and truthful ones to operate, collect donations and make adoptions because people are starting to lose trust in them.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
There are some good rescues out there. But one thing I have noticed with bad ones is that the owners and workers have a god complex. They are god in their own delusional mind and world.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
has to wear his little sweater when he goes hunting if it is too cold or snowing.
does he have to wear mittens too? hee hee hee hee hee

my neighbors, heaven love them, is currently 'ruining' their dogs. they have goats and cows but they wont let their working dogs work - they keep telling me the dogs are afraid of the livestock. so the dogs sit inside on the couch....while the kids are out there running around trying to take up the livestock. i keep thinkin' you know.. you could get them dogs to do it....

sigh......

the first thing i tell people when they ask how i train my dogs so well is that everything you learned about dogs from oprah isnt true. then i get the mean looks b/c i dont believe that dogs are 'little people in fur coats.

oh well... thats why i keep the gate closed
;-)

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I think most people don't really want to train their dogs. It is a lot of time and work. That is why so many people take their dogs to the shelters or neglect or abuse them. They don't train them and then wonder why they act like they do. I have to admit that I do very little training but I have chosen that and my dogs are trained enough that they aren't a threat to anyone and don't do any destruction or anything of property. But they have a home for life with me.

I also think that a lot of these new rescues and rescues like PETA are not ultimately about rescuing animals but about making everyone vegan. If you look at mission statements for some of the larger rescue groups that are extreme, it is really about making everyone vegan. They try to say that a long time ago people didn't eat meat but that isn't true, Even in the bible it is obvious that they ate meat from the beginning (after the fall of Adam and Eve).

I think farm animal rescue groups are going to have to rethink everything. I know there is no way I'm going to adopt a pig or a cow (or any other farm animal) with the intention of just letting it live out its life on my farm without getting something from it. I can't afford the feed and don't have the space. There are plenty of local humane butchers who can take care of it and the animal won't suffer.

sunnygoats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
I also think that a lot of these new rescues and rescues like PETA are not ultimately about rescuing animals but about making everyone vegan. If you look at mission statements for some of the larger rescue groups that are extreme, it is really about making everyone vegan.
Agreed! I was the director of a dog rescue for over 10 years. If a dog came in that was aggressive or had health problems so severe that it would be an emotional and/or financial burden on new owners I would have it humanely euthanized. I got the nickname "death squad". That really hurt because I was sincerely trying my best to find good homes for these dogs, fostered many of them myself and cried over each and every one that didn't make it (there were only a few, but that's all it took for some people to take exception). The reason I got out of rescue was because of some of the wacko people I had to deal with in my own rescue and in other rescues.
BTW, I would not be able to adopt an animal from most rescues or shelters. I have shown, raced, bred and trained dogs to obedience titles (in 2 countries), have a business that deals with dogs and have had extensive experience in dog handling for over 20 years.
The reason? Even though most shelters and rescues do not place animals that are not altered I would not qualify as someone who could adopt because I have intact animals (and have never had an accidental breeding).
To the OP: My policy for people who wanted to "keep in touch" with their previous pets or wanted "updates" was absolutely NOT! We never lost a dog coming into the rescue because of it.

Fainter

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
In terms of meat eating, the "Paleolithic Diet" is actually the best for people. It includes a lot of meat plus raw vegetables. No grains. This is what people ate for 150,000 years before they discovered agriculture. Meat is actually essential to women due to monthly blood loss which can't be replaced by vegetables. The use of meat was responsible for the development of the human brain, which uses 1/6th of the total calories consumed each day. Having to figure out how to get meat also fueled the development of the human brain and the evolution of language.

The bible is a collection of campfire stories, but that is another topic.

kstaven

Purple Cow/Moderator
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Lets not turn this into a religious debate folks. I really hate having to close threads!