Any cows out there broke to ride?

texascowmama

In waiting
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has ever had a cow that would allow you to ride it? Is it possible to ride a Jersey heifer? I mean not a grown adult, but a 3 or 7 yr old. Chloe is a very sweet cow that follows me like a giant dog. Would this hurt her in anyway, if it would, of course, I won't do it. Thanks.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Cows are not meant to be ridden. Their backs just are not meant for riders like a horse. If you decide to put the kids on Chloe put them up by the front shoulders one at a time for a short period and you should be okay. The 7 yr old is getting pretty questionable for it though-just depending on his/hers size.

texascowmama

In waiting
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I sure don't want to hurt her. I know that at the Ft Worth Stockyards they ride the Texas Longhorns.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the build of the Texas longhorns but, the jerseys I am.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
we had a cow named bullet bob hayes.an my brothers would ride her in from the pasture.as they was getting the cows up for the evening milking.so it can be done.but i really wouldnt try to ride a jersey cow.

texascowmama

In waiting
Reaction score
I'm not going to try to ride her at all. She is much too precious to me to hurt her. She is like a huge dog. I just love her. She is going to be our family milk cow/nurse cow, so she is allowed to be a "pet". Now, on the other hand, we have a charlois steer that's name is T-Bone, he is freezer bound next Spring.

She is going to be 1 yr old on Dec. 3rd.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
texascowmama said:
She is like a huge dog.
That is the jersey personality! Just don't let her get away with stuff, set boundries. No coming up behind you and rubbing, butting, or whatever. That is extrememly dangerous.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
an above all do not let her start kicking you.all of my show heifers was kick broke cept 1.i could rubb them all over their bellies siodes flanks baggs an teats.an if they kicked id gentlt put my arm in their way.an it hurt them to kick my arm.i did it to the point they never kicked as grown cows.had 1 to kick me.an i put my arm like i used to.an she kicked it an acted like she was hurt.

steerrider

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
There are allot of cows out there broke to ride and I have to dissagree with the statement they are not ment to be ridden.
Cattle were domesticated millions of years before the horse. They were riden millions of years before the horse and used for draft millions of years befor the horse. Cattle have a wonderful and rich history as a mount.
The horse was faster, had more endurance and was more agile in war. something that mattered untill the car was invented. However they are ridden. See www.ridingsteers.com for more information on riding bovine.

AF Texas Longhorn Ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible to ride cattle. I have a Texas Longhorn steer that is already saddlebroke, just haven't had the time to sit on him yet. Just make sure they are done growing so you don't hurt them and I wouldn't ride a pregnant cow either, also you have to use a thick padded saddleblanket and a saddle with a wide tree, breastcollars are also advised to keep the saddle in place.