Anybody else with Silver Foxes?

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
Genipher said:
So if I wanted to sell a couple Silver Fox babies as pets (or breeders, etc.), $20 would be a reasonable rate to charge? I don't think I would be interested in putting forth the effort to get pedigrees though...
I think that's a reasonable price. And if they are just pets, IMO, people who purchase aren't really looking for pedigrees. Just a healthy bunny. The breeding part, well there are people out there who want pedigrees, but there also those out there just looking for Good stock. Just tell the buyer, if it's a breeder, that they are being sold w/o pedigrees.

BTW, once purchased, can the breeder get the pedigrees if they want? Just curious. :)

cutechick2010

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Genipher said:
So if I wanted to sell a couple Silver Fox babies as pets (or breeders, etc.), $20 would be a reasonable rate to charge? I don't think I would be interested in putting forth the effort to get pedigrees though...
Actually, the pedigrees take almost no effort. You simply buy a book of blanks, or even design your own on the computer, and then fill them out with the information about the rabbit. I always wrote mine out by hand, and I used the ARBA blanks because I liked the way they look, all official-like. :)

If you are talking about registration, that does take more effort. The rabbit needs to be inspected by a an official registrar to make sure it conforms to ARBA breed standards, and then the registrar will give the rabbit a tattoo with it's registration number, assuming it passes inspection.

@ Ms. Research: Usually, once you buy the rabbit without a pedigree, you can't go back and get it. Most of the time if a breeder is willing to sell a rabbit without one, it's because they feel the rabbit is flawed in some way (in show terms, not health-wise) and don't want any offspring from it associated with their herd name. Especially with a rare breed like the Silver Foxes, if they sell one as a pet, they prefer it not be bred because it has some flaw that makes it not fit breed standards. And of course, if you breed one that does not conform to breed standards, you are lowering the overall quality of the breed. Not to sound snobbish or anything, but a big part of being a responsible breeder is too ONLY breed the best.