Anybody raising Florida Whites?

chadrodeo05

Just born
Reaction score
My daughter has a FL white and we love her.We have been kinda looking 4 a boyfriend 4 her.I believe thay saying don't say it f u can't say anything nice

lklisk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi I am some what new to rabbits. Before I started to raise them I read every book that I could get my hands own about rabbits.
What I wanted to do was to have a Florida white buck to breed to a NZ doe. I thought that a FW would eat less take up les space but produce fantastic meat rabbits.
I never found one, I am poor so I made my breeding rabbits from srub does bred to NZ buck. Things are going well. It is a slow proces but I enjoy it.
I am happy for you getting started with your FW, let us know how things go for you. Any rabbit is good to eat no matter the size.
lisa

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I picked up my trio a couple weeks ago and have a litter of kits due in 2 days. I am so hoping that we have surviving babies as she came to us pregnant but seems to be a bit stressed out about settling in. This is the senior does first litter, she is 10 mo. old. I also have a junior doe who will be bred in about a month. And a very nice junior buck I am quite happy with.
I choose to buy very good quality start out stock and will hold back the best of the litters if I see fit. My project is going well and I am looking forward to seeing some results. I also have a dutch bred to my FW buck who will be due in 3 weeks. If they do not turn out meaty enough for my taste, I will feed them out to my dogs. Momma dutch was a free rabbit and is easy to handle. Has had one very small litter and thought I might as well see what comes of the breeding. I know Dutch are meat rabbits but not in the same catagory of the FW's.

1521_thumperr16.jpeg

This is my junior buck

Junior doe
1521_sofier13.jpeg

Senior pregnant doe

1521_mommam15.jpeg

then there is the Dutch doe and her German shepherd puppy.
1521_7morose.jpg

I will keep you posted on my new kits. I can't wait! I am like a little kid a x-mas time.

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and a lizard

lklisk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
They are beautiful! I am so happy for you. I think the dutch will produce good meat breed to a F.W.. Are the F.W. calm or nerves?
All of my rabbits have a diferent personality. I am sure the F/W. are all diferent as well, but are they generaly calm or not so calm?
sorry cant spell , lisa:

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
lklisk said:
They are beautiful! I am so happy for you. I think the dutch will produce good meat breed to a F.W.. Are the F.W. calm or nerves?
All of my rabbits have a diferent personality. I am sure the F/W. are all diferent as well, but are they generaly calm or not so calm?
sorry cant spell , lisa:
I have only had them a couple of weeks. I have not spent to much time with them since my senior doe came to me 14 days pregnant. I have tried to give her as little stress as possible. All the rabbits were very calm with the breeder and very easy to handle. The Junior doe and buck have been quite calm with me. I have not handled them except for the buck breeding the dutch. They are all together in seperate cages and as I said, I have wanted to be careful on new mommies stress level. She went to a new home, new dogs (but used to dogs) from an indoor environment to an outdoor set-up and a train not far away that goes by 5 times a day. I have been very careful to be mindfull of her stress. From what I have seen so far, I think they will be pretty calm. I will know more in a few months. I can tell you one thing I am extatic with my purchase of these three. And I am just hoping the new mommy didnt get to stressed. Maybe I am being silly, but I have been planning this project for 2 years now and it is coming together. I will try to continue to post updates.

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits and a lizard

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have 6-7 new kits today. YEAH!!!!!
There may be more but not sure. Momma was very protective and we did not want to stress her out. She grabbed a few mouthfuls of hay and then checked the babies in the nest box. Jumped back out to eat more hay. I was happy to see she relaxed and munched down.
yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so excited with this project!

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits plus kits, and a lizard

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Pulled the nest box out this morning and counted babies. We thought there were 6 or 7, we were right. There are seven plump healthy kits.
Yeah!!! Just starting to get white fuzz on their bodies.

1521_7kits516.jpeg

I am very happy with my new trio.

the lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, 7 kits and a lizard

lklisk

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
The kits are beautiful. You did good. Thanks for the pictuers. I dont know how to send some?
I lost most of my kits to cold weather. My husband is making me better nest boxes.
I have been srtugling with the idea of eating the fryers that I raise from my own rabbits. Last spring I bought a litter of mixed breed rabbits. my plan was to eat the bucks and keep the does for breeding. I bought a N Z W buck to breed them with.
I did not like the butchering part. The rabbits are sooo cute and sweet. I have been butchering my own chickens for 15 years. It botherd me at first, but I got used to it. But I did butcher them and they are so good to eat I think better than chicken. They have more protein and less fat than chicken, but you know that .
Any way now I will have to butcher the little ones that I raised for meat. That is the reason that I raise them. I also want to make somthing out of the fur. I am very crafty. It just seems harder now to think of butchering them. the are so sweet.
I know that I am doing the right thing. The only grocerys that I buy are dairy pruducts, ( dont have enough land for a cow are a goat)
and junk food for my hubby. I grow everything els and we hunt and fish. So I guess I will get used to it just like I did with the chickens.
Hope things are going well for everyone!! lisa

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My FW doe is a great mom! 8 days after they were born and they are nice and plump and well cared for. This is her first litter and all 7 are still doing well.
1521_520nuggets.jpeg

Can't wait to see what they look like once they start jumping out of the nest box.

The lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, 7 kits and a lizard

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
New pictures of the fat little babies. Mom has turned out to be a good girl. The last two mornings I have found a baby out of the nest box hanging out with mom.

1521_daisy527media1.jpeg

The lady with 4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, 7 kits and a lizard

Latest posts