Anything to protect the pigs?

Acrilex

Just born
Reaction score
Hello, I'm about to purchase a 40 acre piece of land, and would like to raise some free ranging pigs. BUT, I fear that wild dog packs or people will take my pigs. Is there any dog breed that will be good to herd the pigs and protect them? I live in the Southeastern state in Brazil, and my top worry is people stealing them, will any breed guard them from people and wild animals?

Also, there is quite a wild hog population around my area, and big predators like jaguars that follow them around. Anything I can do other than closing them up in a pen?

West Wind Acres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I had the same fear when I started with pigs. If you have at least one or two large pigs I doubt that you will have any problem. One day I walked up to my fence from the woods and startled the pigs, they charged toward me in a V with the smallest between them. Unless they were severely out numbered I doubt you will have any issues

Acrilex

Just born
Reaction score
Will the pigs run if out numbered or will they fight?

West Wind Acres

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Im not sure. They are very smart animals. If you are worried a donkey could be used for protection

Acrilex

Just born
Reaction score
Would the donkey follow them around though? I will be purchasing a 40 acre land and most of it is untouched forest. So I want to raise some free ranging animals, like pigs, pheasants, and wild game. I heard that donkeys are great against predators but i doubt they will want to follow the pigs around all day :lol: