Apple Cider Vinegar To Alter Sex Ratio

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Some years ACV works, other years not so good ... depends if it is a ewe lamb or ram lamb year. Or maybe next year ... :hu

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
LOL Bossroo...last year was a ram year and this year was a ewe year and we do drench with ACV with the garlic barrier monthly...so...for us anyway, you are right ;)

boykin2010

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments. I will be using some ACV once it cools off. Right now, I am afraid to mix it in their water and they refuse to drink and it is SO HOT... That won't be good. Having more ewe lambs will just be a bonus if it happens. I sold some of my old stock and bought a lot more breeder stock this year and am now up to 13 ewes total. Hopefully, with that many ewes I will get plenty of lambs and at least half this time will be female.

Will keep everyone updated on how it works. I am excited to try it...

HankTheTank

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I know someone who puts two buckets of water out, one with ACV and one without. That way you can know they're drinking, and she says a lot of the time they actually seem to prefer the water with ACV in it

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wish that would work for us...they wouldn't touch the water with ACV and would go to the back water container for older, warmer water with no ACV...I tell you...they really are spoiled rotten...LOLOLOL...but I love them to pieces :)

Boykin, will be curious how this works out for you...hope you get lots of ewe lambs!

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I use ACV w/ the Mother in it in the water troughs and water buckets, mainly for medicinal purposes - supposed to boost immune system and bolster milk production. I can buy it fairly cheaply by the gallon in Amish country so I use it. Can't say that I've noticed much of anything one way or the other.

Last year our buck, Chaos, made 13 bucklings. Not a single doe.

I read a good article by Dr. Sparks in goat rancher a while back explaining why acv wouldn't affect buck / doe ratio....the PH of the doe's vagina won't be changed by the doe drinking acv (which is supposed to make it inhospitible to male sperm), the rumen would 'buffer' it and any fluid produced by the doe would be 'normal' ph.

He thinks that it's a coincidence when folks using it have doe years.

My experience here would indicate that.....but it certainly won't hurt anything if anyone wants to try it.

Cornish Heritage

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have never tried it for trying to get female offspring but ACV has been proven to work for all sorts of ailments for years. I use it regularly in cooking for the family & this summer we did put some in the water for our chickens. I noticed that the bowl we put it also did not grow that nasty green algae either so that was an added bonus.

We buy it by the 5 gallon bucket load.

Liz

Straw Hat Kikos

The Kiko Cowboy
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think it works.

Oh and Rolls brought up Dr. Sparks so I have to add this. Dr. Sparks is very well known in the goat world and has done many interesting studies involving goats. I think that if he says it's not true then he is more than likely right.

fairview610

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Cornish Heritage said:
I have never tried it for trying to get female offspring but ACV has been proven to work for all sorts of ailments for years. I use it regularly in cooking for the family & this summer we did put some in the water for our chickens. I noticed that the bowl we put it also did not grow that nasty green algae either so that was an added bonus.

We buy it by the 5 gallon bucket load.

Liz
x2 I use it in mine just because it keeps the water cleaner and in summer months mine actually drink more with it. I also heard it helps with worm load but I am not totally sold on that!

Latest posts