Apple Cider Vinegar

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Dogs should be fine, probably good for them.

Stormyknitter

Just born
Reaction score
I don't know any creature it's not good for, quite honestly. The dogs get a teensy amount in their 1-quart water bowl. Cats ditto. Goats have 5-gallon buckets just now, and get about an ounce a day. Chickens have a 3-gallon waterer and get about half that. Seems to work. What's this about making your own??? How do I learn to do that?

lovinglife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I did a google search on making your own, sounds really easy, plus there are several ways. I am thinking I will just buy ACV and add some "Mother" from my organic ACV and let it grow then use from that. The "Mother" has most of the benefits.

Harbisgirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I feed it to my dogs and cats too. And me :)

Thats how I started. I just used a 5 gallon (food grade) bucket, filled it with apple cider, then dumped in a bottle of Braggs. Takes longer this way, rather than buying a stronger SCOBY, but it got the job done. Just make sure to use UNPASTEURIZED apple cider. Otherwise all the nature enzymes and bacteria will be dead and it won't work. I think most people - myself included - used frozen concentrate since it isn't required for frozen juice to be pasteurized. Just make sure to read the labels to make sure though, because some brands do pasteurize their frozen concentrate anyway.

goatsintheopen

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Very interesting makes a lot of sense. :cool:

Though, I would of NEVER thought to add Apple Cider Vinegar to our animals waterers because Im a "in the box" kinda person. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the information! think I'll be getting a couple jugs today :)

flylo

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
This probably has been proven wrong but I used ACV in my does' water tubs, especially just prior to breeding season. We always had MANY more baby doelings born than buck kids and I attributed it to the vinegar in their water.
The theory was that the 'buck semen' is always first to hit the doe when breeding occurs. The ACV the doe drinks has helped wash out the area, killing off the early semen. This allows the pokey 'doe semen' to arrive in good health and ready to turn into a baby doeling. I can see a lot of reasons why that should be an old wives tale, but I do know it worked for me!

Besides it being overall beneficial, when they need to be hauled to strange places, the ACV helps mask any different tastes in the new water, making them more willing to drink it.

So far, my chickens don't really care for it, and since they free range during the day, they have access to more water sources than I provide so I'm not treating their water. Tho in the summer, I think it does help with the bug (especially fly) populations.

Last year I had 2 Longhorn bulls corralled fairly close to the house and to the feed room. They weren't especially friendly so I 'might not have been' as diligent in cleaning out their manure as I should have been. I did keep their water vinegared and it kept the flies down noticeably. That hay and manure has sat ever since last July so it's well rotted and is a wonderful addition to my raised beds. (All good things come to those who wait, even if it is only rotted cow manure <G>!)

One thing I always did with my pregnant does was to clip the hair on their tails just prior to kidding. Yucky - Butt syndrome once they kid, otherwise, and it seemed to last for weeks. Didn't hurt anything, but staring at them 2x per day while milking wasn't very pleasant. I also shaved their udders, especially the rear portion as they filled with milk just to keep the drainage from sticking to them. (If you hand milk and strain it, there are just some things you don't want in there to begin with.)

flylo

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
There is "some" evidence that suggest that female sperm can cope better with a more acidic environment, as well as a higher temperature. BUT it is very very limited evidence and drinking ACV would not change the acidity of the vagina (a flush might but that could cause other issues).

I wish there was a Mythbuster's Farm Episode for this and other things I have heard along the way (cayenne pepper makes chickens lay more for example).

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me how to stretch the organic ACV with the mother. You put about 1/4 cup in a quart glass jug,fill the jug with plain vinegar, put a coffee filter on it and screw down the ring. Put it in a dark place for a few weeks and there you go.

Ranchhandok

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
How interesting! Another thing to research. I'm going to start this with all of my animals.

Latest posts