Are Netherland Dwarf Rabbits natually mean???

terri9630

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I had a couple of rex does that would go at anything that went through the cage door. As soon as they were out of the cage they were great. We also had to take them out one at a time. They would try to jump out of your arms to attack each other.

momofonly

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
dbunni said:
We treat all the buns, big or little, here like angoras. They get kissed and spoiled. Have never been met with teeth for the kiss! I think it is more in how you raise, train, handle & cull (if necessary). I would not keyhole any one breed into this catagory ...
Don't you get a mouth full of fur? :) That's the only reason I don't kiss my angora bunny. We do rub noses sometimes, though. :)

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Their lips & noses don't have wool! The one spot that doesn't ... but if I could get it to grow there ... OH LALA!! Now that would be a wooly rabbit!

RabbitMage

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I will say I've been bitten by more Netherland Dwarfs than any other breed I've handled.

I had a Britannia Petite for years. The poor thing was neurotic, but never bit anyone. I used to dare people to kiss him on the nose. :cool:

cattlecait

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
RabbitMage said:
I will say I've been bitten by more Netherland Dwarfs than any other breed I've handled.

I had a Britannia Petite for years. The poor thing was neurotic, but never bit anyone. I used to dare people to kiss him on the nose. :cool:
I had two Brits and they were the same way :)

gocrow77

Just born
Reaction score
The only rabbit that ever bit me was a Netherland Dwarf - however I also had plenty of that breed that were very sweet. I never bred him, and sold him when I sold out of my show rabbits - he was truly aggressive, and none of my others were anything like him. He would charge the cage door whenever anyone would just walk by, and beat up every doe that had the misfortune to be stuck in his cage. After he bit me I never tried to breed him again.

a7736100

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I get bitten mostly when I'm late with their pellets. Hungry rabbits are mean. My Netherland attacked my hand a few time till I realize he must have been very hungry. Now I can pick him up and flip him to craddle and stroke him.

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
My observation after visiting numerous breeders, to pick a breeder we wanted to deal with, stated that all bunnies have their own personality. But I was also told that you needed to make sure you were prepared and in the understanding of how to handle or gain their trust. I found this very important to understand. My "true" is easy to handle because he's small and he's so sweet. My "Big Ugly" well he's the one that is hard to handle and he's the one that gives me attitude. But I've learned patience and have worked every day handling him. Though the first couple times he struggled because he didn't want to be handled, I've got him to the point that he now tolerates the handling (he's 3 months old) and hopefully I'm going in the right direction where tolerance becomes pleasure. Same litter, two personalities.

Sometimes a bunny might get frightened due to a "one time" handling fiasco, and they fall into a pattern of distrust rather than trust. I think I was the cause of why my "Big Ugly" was a little distrustful. I was a novice picking him up. He struggled because he was scared by the novice handling. He came from a pro breeder to a novice. It takes time and if you really want to bond with your bunny, you must spend that time every day.

Just a opinion from a novice.

hoodat

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
A bun can be ruined when young by one bad experience and it can take a long time for them to forget it. Beginners often don't understand rabbits and treat them roughly. You can eventually overcome that but it's better if you get them before someone else starts them off wrong.

M.R. Lops

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
No, I have some friends that raise Netherland Dwarfs and they are not mean at all. Any rabbit can be mean if not raised in a good environment and if not handled enough when they're young. Any rabbit of any age can become nice though with some time.