Are they still alive?

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have two ND does that as of a month ago became herd mates. The oldest one has turned into the dominate one. She will head butt the little one that is pregnant. I know they do this as play and to establish who is who so wasn't worried BUT Nutmeg, the older one, when she head butts Java Chip, she will now go for her sides. I am afraid that she has done this so much and so hard that the baby(ies) are dead. I haven't felt any movement and if everyone on here is correct, she should be having her baby(ies) within 6 weeks. Could they still be alive and should I separate them or what. I don't really have a way to do that but I have to stop the head butting on the other ones sides. These are my first two goats so I know absolutely nothing about their behaviors. Any help would greatly be appreciated. THANKS! Deb

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Although I have seen many goats take a hard hit and still have very healthy kids. If she is a constant punching bag for the other doe, I would make arrangements to separate them.

Perhaps you could separate the feeder spaces or put in a climbing are for them or some big branches(like small trees) to distract the other goat and keep her busier.

How much space do they have?

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
They have about an acre of fenced off area that they share with 11 chickens. I do have a roller for the yard out there and a ramp going to it for them to play on but that is usually when the older one picks on the little one. Then when they are eating she will do the same thing. I have separated the feed into two different spots but for some reason they think the other is getting something better and will switch and then have to eat out of the same pail. Like two little kids fighting over ice cream or something. I just would like the head butting to stop but can't sit out there all day with them but when I am I try and curb it but they will both take off running and then head back to the play area and do it all over again. Like kids at a play ground and I was there first, no I was, move out of the way king of thing. I don't have but the one area outside for them to run around in and like I said, I can't be out there all the time. On good days (not today) I will stay outside cleaning and other things just to be out in the fresh air but today is cold and rainy looking so am in the house with my 5 year old grand daughter who stay with me during the week. I am really hoping the baby(ies) are still alright but guess I will just have to leave it to the Lord and hope things turn out. Can't wait to see the little kids. THANKS, Deb

Holachicka

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Based on the things you've said, it sounds like it's mainly territorial, for food, fun play spots, not like she's getting constantly picked on? I'd try and seperate at grain feeding time.

What about the discharge you mentioned in another post? is it a lot? clear? opaque?

I don't always feel the babies move in my girls. I think I've only felt them in one girl. Are you feeling on the right not left side?

I would LOVE to see a pic!

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
It is mostly play and feeding times. Guess maybe I am being overly protective since she is the littlest and pregnant. The discharge is what everyone has been telling me was her "plug". It was yellowish and now looks like cheese. Not a lot but there is some stuck to her tail. I am thinking at least 6 more weeks.
I was trying to feel on both sides. Not really sure what I was thinking I would feel but thought it might be like a human and you could feel a foot moving or something.
I will go down and get picture right now and post them shortly.

THANKS,

Deb

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here are the pictures of Nutmeg and Java Chip.

3514_000_1150.jpg

Nutmeg is the brown one and Java is black

3514_000_1154.jpg

This is Java's back side. You can't see much of the "cheese" just a little every day

3514_000_1155.jpg

The girls getting something to eat so I can take pictures of them. They are inside the
barn and next to the pen we got so that Java can have her baby(ies) without worry.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Well, I am trying to figure out if there is any change in her udder. I think there is some but not enough to think she is kidding any time soon. Any thoughts?

3514_000_1141.jpg

this one was taken on the 7th

3514_000_1192.jpg

this one was taken today
As you can see on the picture there are dates. I can see some but don't really think it should be any time in the near future. Love when you buy something and aren't told when to expect the birth, even a general idea would have been nice.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I'ld say you're a-okay and look at babies pretty soon. I've never actually felt babies, prior to birth that is.

mama24

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
The amniotic fluid protects babies really well in the womb. I got hit by a truck when I was pregnant with y oldest child, who will be 13 this summer. I took the full impact in my belly b/c the driver hit me dead on (he was drunk) and the steering wheel was pushed into me. My baby and I were absolutely fine. If I hadn't been 34 weeks pregnant, I would have been hurt very very badly. The fluid actually cushions blows, so the baby is very unlikely to get hurt bad getting hit. The potential damage that could be done is the blow making the placenta detach prematurely, but that would cause a lot of bleeding.

Mitransplant

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The little BUCK is fine. She had him about 6 this morning and was still licking him when I went down at 6:30 to feed and check on everyone. I turned around after closing the door and saw TWO black and white goats standing there on the gravel. Took a few minutes to realize I didn't have two. I took the little guy into the barn and put him in the pen and mom followed. That is where they are right now. Can't believe she had him outside the barn and on the dirt and rocks. Found the sack he was in out on the rocks so threw that away. Java is still having some discharge but have heard that is normal. He is trying to nurse and she is being a very good mom so far. Almost 12 hours old. I had wanted to be there and experience it with her but guess she didn't want to share this time with me. Going to keep him I think and fix him since I don't want him trying to breed his mother. Will check into getting more goats next spring when everyone is having them and I can pick up a couple rather cheaply. I just want does for their milk so don't really want to spend 400 or more on a pet. OREO is so cute and I don't think I could sell him.

So glad things worked out for your situation and your 13 year old. More should be done to drunk drivers but for some reason they are protected, got to consider their rights! BULL!!!!!!! Hang "em high by what ever you can grab.