ARIZONA GOAT OWNERS

GoldBarRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome to the Arizona Goat Thread:
Hoping this thread will bring Arizona goat owner together , to share pictures stories, questions, and just meet other in your area that share the love of goats. Please feel free to share lots of pictures of your goats. So grab your coffee and lets start sharing !
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=97

GoldBarRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We Live in Wittmann AZ
we currently own nigerian and pygmy goats and our little herd of 8 is slowly growing.
And as soon as I figure out how I will post pictures :D
6800_tinkerbell_7.jpg

6800_jack_1.jpg

6800_dsc00031_1.jpg

6800_cali_gretchen_2.jpg

6800_jackson.jpg

6800_dsc00009.jpg

6800_dolly_1.jpg

CircleStar Ranch

Just born
Reaction score
Greetings.... new here

I just posted my intro in the intro section. But an abbreviated version: After we move outta the city, we will be starting our "herd" of a Boer buck & whether buck-buddy, and 2 Nubian does this coming spring. I have been researching and planning this for over a year... getting close now!

-Dutch

CircleStar Ranch

Just born
Reaction score
Ok my first maybe "Arizona specific" goat questions. I am still in the planning stage for my goat pens and need input. On the desert property we are looking at, I can give the goats two 75' x 100' pens - segregating the 2 boys and 2 girls but having a common 75' fence. Considering not much is growing there, is that a good amount of space? I have been looking at planting desert-type grass seed that wont require watering after it is set. I was thinking it could be planted in November to take advantage of the winter rains and could be quite usable by the time we get the goats in the spring. Is it worth the effort for 15,000 sf or will they eat it down to nothing too fast?

- Dutch

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
CircleStar Ranch said:
Ok my first maybe "Arizona specific" goat questions. I am still in the planning stage for my goat pens and need input. On the desert property we are looking at, I can give the goats two 75' x 100' pens - segregating the 2 boys and 2 girls but having a common 75' fence. Considering not much is growing there, is that a good amount of space? I have been looking at planting desert-type grass seed that wont require watering after it is set. I was thinking it could be planted in November to take advantage of the winter rains and could be quite usable by the time we get the goats in the spring. Is it worth the effort for 15,000 sf or will they eat it down to nothing too fast?

- Dutch
They prefer weeds and browse but it should be ok and your pen size should be ok too

GoldBarRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My goats would look at me and laugh if I told them they had to eat weeds lol They must be picky eaters because they wont touch weeds here, well maybe if they didnt get enough to eat they might because they wont have a choice I guess. Believe me I tried ! Silly goat. We raise pygmys , Nigerians and they are on Bermuda hay only until kidding time.

breezy B ranch

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello from Sahuarita Az (just 30 min or so south of Tucson)!! We have an Alpine and a Saanen with her buck kid. We don't have anything as far as grass for ours to graze and I don't let them eat weeds because some will alter the flavor of their milk( or so I've been told). Mine love to munch on some mesquite leaves and DRY mesquite beans (never give them fresh beans from the trees as they can get sick).

GoldBarRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
breezy B ranch said:
Hello from Sahuarita Az (just 30 min or so south of Tucson)!! We have an Alpine and a Saanen with her buck kid. We don't have anything as far as grass for ours to graze and I don't let them eat weeds because some will alter the flavor of their milk( or so I've been told). Mine love to munch on some mesquite leaves and DRY mesquite beans (never give them fresh beans from the trees as they can get sick).
Thanks for sharing that , I didnt know that and my neighbors have these trees. I wonder why the fresh ones make them sick but the dried do not ? Interesting !

GoldBarRanch

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Welcome All,
I myself am very new to the goat world for 2 year now and still learning new things everyday. Id really love to milk my does starting the next generations I have growing out. Id love to make my own milk soaps. My husband is a welder and Id like him to build me a nice sturdy stand that will last for years to come. Ive seen maybe styles out there. But to purchase one, they cost as much as a nice goat lol.
Can any of you that milk your goat tell me what kind of stand your useing and the pros and cons of your stand. Trying to figure out whatkind of design id like . post pictures if you know how , im still working on this lol

autumnprairie

Owned by the Rotten Heifers
Reaction score
GoldBarRanch said:
Welcome All,
I myself am very new to the goat world for 2 year now and still learning new things everyday. Id really love to milk my does starting the next generations I have growing out. Id love to make my own milk soaps. My husband is a welder and Id like him to build me a nice sturdy stand that will last for years to come. Ive seen maybe styles out there. But to purchase one, they cost as much as a nice goat lol.
Can any of you that milk your goat tell me what kind of stand your useing and the pros and cons of your stand. Trying to figure out whatkind of design id like . post pictures if you know how , im still working on this lol
Here is a thread we did not that long ago on milk stands mine is on post #19 I use it daily
http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=17902