Awful Docks

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aggie, I got to go to the county fair yesterday and noticed just what you noticed....the trend is extreme docks. So horrible to look upon, though none were as bad as the ones you picture here.

I noticed a few that looked like they have been redocked...what would be the purpose for that, you think?

I also noticed that the market sheep were, as a whole, more lean this year. Didn't have that overstuffed pillow look to them.

Personally? I didn't see one sheep that could hold a candle to mine for pure loveliness...but then, I could be a little biased! :lol:

I wish the local fairs would be more broad minded in their sheep shows and have classes for other breeds than just the usual woolly breeds. Some variety and info on other breeds would make the fair more interesting by far.

I'd like to see a heritage breed class and a hair sheep class so that these sheep could participate and be judged on their own merits and not wool breed standards.

I also noticed this year had more meat goats than ever...almost as many goat pens as lambs! Those Boer goats are pretty darn sweet for goats...they loved being petted. I can see the appeal for younger children getting to work with smaller, more docile animals than sheep.

goodhors

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I wish the local fairs would be more broad minded in their sheep shows and have classes for other breeds than just the usual woolly breeds. Some variety and info on other breeds would make the fair more interesting by far.

I'd like to see a heritage breed class and a hair sheep class so that these sheep could participate and be judged on their own merits and not wool breed standards.
Attend some Fair Board meetings, put forth proposals for changes.

Fairs want to attract visitors, and depending on stalling available, may be willing to add classes for rare, Heritage, breeds of animals. However the classes MUST get participants to come fill them. Most Fairs take out classes that never have any entries or only one or two.

You would need to get with other sheep folks, get them to agree to attend. Unfortunately, this would mean sheep would need scapies tags, and time commitment from owners to attend the Fair. Having just finished our Fair, time to go to the Fair, show in classes, get up to go and feed, clean, groom their animals to show, is big enterprise! Used to be that class winners got premiums, helped pay for going. Bragging rights, "we won Grand or Reserve at *** Fair". We don't get premiums any more, though you do win ribbons. Other Michigan Fairs give small premiums if they can.

Fairs can be changed, you have to be willing to put in the work to get it done. I work closely with our Horse 4-H, things are changing there in one of the MOST rigid groups I have ever worked with. New folks coming into offices, postitions, who are more open to new thinking in ideas.

Have to say change is often difficult for many, easier to do things "like we always have done it" than new ways. Small steps, are easier to get approved, then done. Thank them, take what they give for now, ask for more next year. Some Fairs are VERY willing to work with new faces, try new ideas, new breeds. Even being an exhibit breed or animal, will get you lots of questions, interest in the "new and different" helping your market for extra animals. Present them well with good signs, pictures, breed brochures or information with addresses, have a smiling face to answer questions. Have animals that tolerate new faces, petting by strangers, photo opportunities with the kids! All good PR for you and getting your animals a spot at the Fair.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great info!!! :) I think this small fair only has so many pens and doesn't have room for expansion....but I did notice they actually let the Highland cows compete this year and awarded prizes, whereas before they were only exhibition.

I'd just like to see some Scottish Blackface sheep, Jacob sheep, hair sheep, etc. merely for the variety and beauty of it all. I don't think there are enough in the area that have these breeds that would actually care to go to the trouble to bring them.

Would be cool, though.... :)

I did also notice, for the first time, there were several wool felting art exhibits and prizes. Different and very pretty!

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Oh, and I did forward those pictures and my concerns to our state sheep breeder's association.....never did get a reply though.

judyc

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I bought five Dorper ewe lambs with docks so short the vulva is exoposed. I also have some that are un-docked. I have to say that a partial dock is handy when checking for udder development. I have long docks on my ewe lambs. I place the band just below where the hair starts on the underside of the tail.

It's funny to watch the girls curl that little tail. This way, I can see the udder clearly, yet they have protection.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
That's sad...Dorpers shouldn't need docking at all. Why in the world would they dock Dorpers that short?

That was one of the reasons I really swayed towards hair sheep...I didn't like the idea of cutting off a perfectly good tail and altering the natural appearance of the animal. I don't tag my sheep either...one day I'm sure it will be mandatory but I can't see putting a heavy tag in a little lamb's ear, punching a hole....ick. I didn't even get my own ears pierced! :p

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
Docking short enough to have an exposed vulva isn't *that* short. Most sheep are docked to expose the vulva, and even docking at the "recommended" length will expose the vulva.

I think rules in Great Britain say the docks have to be long enough to cover the vulva.

nissa_loves_cats

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Tail docking is a 'sacred cow' custom, and it seems like people that advocate for it can't even agree on why it is necessary. I have never docked a sheep of any breed and it seems that if anything an intact tail helps keep the hind end cleaner.

Perhaps the best way to discourage the ugly ultra-short tail dock is for sheep farmers to rebel against the tail-docking custom and just not dock. I took an undocked DorperxShetland ewe lamb to my local fair last year. She was placed 3rd out of three, but that was because she was so much smaller than her competitors who were much older (I tend to breed for March/April births so the flock can lamb on pasture.)

But I'm not going to go around accusing people who dock tails too short of 'cruelty' because that just tends to rile them up and defend the practice. It might be better to lead by example.