babies!

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So far no problems at all! :) I checked on them several times yesterday and just went out this morning and all is well.
Thanks for all the help! :)

What color will they turn out? How is it I got 3 colors, actually 4? The white, tan, one brown, and black. :)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually, you have at least 5 colors!

Rabbit coat color is a complicated business - I've seen entire books on the subject. But I'll try to make my answer short.:rolleyes:

The NZ Whites are a color know as Ruby-eyed White. Genetically, it is the true albino; the gene that codes for it occurs on the C locus. A "locus" is the particular place in the genetic code where a particular gene is found. There are lots of other loci (locations) where genes that influence rabbit color are found. Because the gene causing the Ruby-eyed White color shuts down production of all pigment that would go into the coat, you can't tell what the other genes the REW rabbit has code for. When you breed the REW to something else, you can get all kinds of surprises!

The "brown" baby is a Chestnut, sometimes called a "Chestnut Agouti." It has an Agouti gene at the A locus. Agouti patterned rabbits have white bellies, white around the eyes, white inside the ears, white around the nostrils and under the jaw, white between their toes and white on the bottom of the tail. The body hairs on agouti patterned rabbits are banded with color, having black on the tip, then a band of yellow, then blue-gray at the base of the hair.

The solid black babies are likely just that, solid black (called self black, black selfs, or just black!). They are "self" at the A locus, so they don't show the agouti "trim." They might turn out to be steels (steel does turn up in NZ or Cali crosses) though I'd expect to see some ticking at this point, and I don't.

The white babies will most likely turn out to have dark noses, ears, feet and tails ("points") like a Californian. That color is called Himilayan, or Himi for short. Himi also occurs on the C locus; there are at least 5 (some say 6) genes in the C series. Every rabbit has 2 genes in each series (one that came from the mother, one from the father), whether they are the same or different forms depends on what the parents had. The REW mother has 2 copies of the REW form - you can be sure of that, because REW is the most recessive form in this series. The only way you see the color coded for by a recessive gene, is when there isn't a more dominant gene present in that animal. The father in this cross is expressing the full-color form (C), you said he's a red. Assuming one of his parent was a purebred Cali, then he got a Himi gene from that parent. Himi is recessive, it is "outranked" by every other gene in the series except the REW. If the babies don't get the dark points, then the Cali was carrying REW, and had an outcross not too far back. Himis may show the white trim of an agouti around the nostrils, under the tail, and in the other pigmented areas on their coats.

The "tan" babies are actually two different colors. There is at least one that has dark insides to its ears - that color is a tort. The ones with light insides to their ears are reds or oranges. Tort/red/orange occurs on the E locus. There is a gene, called the non-extension gene, that sharply limits the amount of black pigment that shows up in the coat. It pushes the black tipping of the agouti almost completely off the hair, revealing the yellow/red color underneath - giving you a red/orange. Selfs have more black pigment in their coats (without the agouti gene to remove it from some areas) so a self-patterned rabbit with the non-extension gene winds up as a tort.

And this is a short answer!!???:ep

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
WOW! What a great explanation BunnyLady!!! I love genetics. Its fascinating! I am anxious for them to get fuzzy now. :) I love all the colors. :)

Thank you for taking the time to explain all that. :)

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
So far so good! I moved 3 of the 11 and gave to the doe that only had 2. The move was successful, everybody is happy. They are just so cute!

Thanks so much for the advice. :)

000_3551.jpg

000_3555.jpg

000_3554.jpg

They grow SO fast! :)

hollymh

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score

Mamaboid

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh wow....talk about cuteness overload. Yup, gonna have to get me some waskilly wabbits.

PinkFox

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
beautiful, im IN LOVE with that red baby right in the center! sooo pretty!

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
PinkFox said:
the one with the racing stripes? what color is that?

chickenchaps

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
zzGypsy said:
PinkFox said:
the one with the racing stripes? what color is that?
I think, according to BunnyLady's reply earlier, that one is a Chestnut Agouti. ???

This is the other nest of babies. One of these "tort/red/orange" has alot of gray underneath. I guess it is the "tort". The other red/orange ones have the white... :)

000_3548.jpg

Here is the dad, just for kicks.
Both moms are pure white.
000_3300.jpg