baby girl with too bendy back legs...

ALEXthegoat

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
she struggles walking because they seem to bend the other way, i brought her in, and im bottle feeding her, she had 5 cc of colostrum. she was born last night...what do I do?? or why is she like this??

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
You can splint the legs with paper toweling and duct tape to support the weak joint, just don't wrap it too tight. I take mine off every couple days to check and then put it back on if still weak.

CAn be a selenium deficiency, Bo-Se injection can help strengthen the legs 1/4cc for smaller breed and 1/2cc for larger breed.

Sometimes it is from having twins or triplets with just not enough room for them to stretch out.

Also 5cc of colostrum isn't very much, what else is she drinking? If you were planning on having her on mom, I would bring her to mom every know and then and hold her up to let her nurse.

mogolady

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have one or two like this every year and we aren't in a Selinum deficient area. I too think it is from position/crowding in momma. It's like their hyper-flexed and their little ligaments aren't quite strong enough around the joint.

When I was a newbie and had the first one I freaked and took it to a vet. Which splinted it and sucked $75 out of me, to which the splint stayed on about 4 hours.:( As the little guy began to use it, it strengthened and he was fine. Since then, any I have I just help them stand to nurse and as they use the legs they strengthen with no problems.

If this is indeed the same problem, I think your little one will heal fine. Best of luck!

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Any time I have seen weak tendons/ligaments, BoSe has always fixed it right up. Sometimes splinting is in order and just running around and using the legs help too.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Both selenium deficiency and being crowded in a cramped position before birth can cause this. I would treat with some selenium (it can't hurt to give a dose even if it isn't the problem) and wait and see. Usually they straighten up in a few days of walking around, but some cases need a little help with splints or physical therapy. I had a buckling born this year walking on his knuckles like a gorilla because he was cramped with a huge brother inside the doe. Within a week of birth, and daily stretching help from me, he was running and jumping like normal.