baby goats losing hair

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I ML is certainly a tiny dose. I have never had lice *knock on wood* but I dust my does on occasion with poultry dust but really as a prevention.
I don't have many problems with worms either as the goats are on a dry lot. When I do worm it is with Ivermectin dosed orally.

So all of that being said, wormers are not on my list of regularly used meds. I was told by my vet that goats have thinner skin than cattle or sheep and that is why the dosage is so important; they will absorb it more readily; hence the reason for my words of caution.

Good to hear from someone that has used it on the kids.
We had a couple of bucklings get a mild case of lice and a 1ml dose did the trick. The only cases of lice we have ever had so I wanted to stop it right there before it went any further. We did a quarantine of the lice carrying goats and as a precautionary measure, dusted the rest of the herd with Seven. This treatment killed any and all lice.

goatboy1973

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I will mention that the Cydectin that I use is an "off-label" use of a medication which means it is not labeled for use in goats. This is a fairly common practice since us goat producers get left out in the cold as far as testing new meds are concerned. This doesn't necessarily mean that it will injure, make sick, or kill our goats, it just means that it was not tested on goats. You can almost be certain that if it is labeled for sheep use then it is gonna be safe for a goat but this is a chance that you are going to have to decide on your own; "Do the benefits out weigh the risk?".

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had a buck do this.
Vet had me treat with inj ivermectin sub q .
This worked. I gave anther treatment I think a week later.
Also removed bedding and stuff.
In my goats case the vet said it was some kind of mange.
Have not had any problems since with any other goats.
knock on wood