Bad day in the bunny barn

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your buns. :hugs

I've had a bad rabbit "6 months", lol. (And I've been breeding rabbits for YEARS with never a SINGLE loss)... it's all catching up with me now. :he

We recently moved and I lost my very favorite two best does to a bobcat pulling them out of their cages. Also lost my very first rabbit ever to seizures; he was an old guy. Moved the whole rabbitry to a more secure location. Then lost all three of my first litters since moving due to the cold. Rebred everyone and then at 2 1/2 weeks old one of the mammas gets out of the cage somehow and is GONE. So now I am trying to wean 2 1/2 week old babies. There was 10 and I've only lost 3, it's been about a week now, so it's going pretty well so far.

I need to finish getting my up fencing, overhead shelter, and get them back up on their stands. :th

Point of my story? Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of us!

alsea1

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yeah. When it rains it pours. But then the sun comes out

nawma

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
So sorry to hear of everyone's losses. Guess that is part of raising animals that can't be completely controlled. I know I was discouraged after my rough start, but now my rabbitry has babies galore.

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have switched to wooden nest boxes in the winter time as they seem to say way warmer then the metal ones.
I had two years of learning the hard way and am finally getting winter right.
Also, always remember........ a kit is not dead when it is cold. It needs to be warm and not moving or breathing. This lesson I did not learn till I lost god knows how many kits.
Since then, I have brought back 1/2 of the cold dead kits.
Breeding like rabbits, I do believe is just a figure of speech. LOLOL