Banding First Time 6 month old Nigerian Dwarf

GibsonFamilyFarm

Just born
Reaction score
Hello! This is our first goat and he is about 6 months old. We banded him just under 24 hours ago and he has been very uncomfortable and hasn’t been eating. If he has, it’s very little. He’s been doing a lot of lying down but he does move from place to place every now and then.
We used a California bander because of how large he is. The other bander from Tractor Supply was way too small. I read a lot and watched a lot of videos. We felt really confident doing it. I think it’s tight enough but my husband isn’t sure. It ended up being much harder to do than we expected.
He yelped and wasn’t happy but didn’t continuously cry. Most of what I read was that they bounce back after a couple hours once it’s numb.
I’ve checked it and I don’t need anything like puss, redness, swelling etc. Nothing to cause concern. I’m just worried because of his lack of eating.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
With age & size it will be uncomfortable longer. And his nerves are more sensitive to pain. Give him something for swelling & pain. Probably a 3 day soreness.

When young, the testicles are smaller, don't hang so low to be jiggled with every step. That's part of why it's taking longer to subside -- assuming all else was correct at doing. ;) It's tender.

GibsonFamilyFarm

Just born
Reaction score
With age & size it will be uncomfortable longer. And his nerves are more sensitive to pain. Give him something for swelling & pain. Probably a 3 day soreness.

When young, the testicles are smaller, don't hang so low to be jiggled with every step. That's part of why it's taking longer to subside -- assuming all else was correct at doing. ;) It's tender.
Thank you very much! He seems to be very large for his age, so that all makes sense. I could tell he was very careful with how he was using his back legs.
From all the videos and what I read, everything looks like it was done correctly. I’m definitely keeping on eye on it though.

For the pain, aspirin is what I see is recommended. Would that be correct?