Barn camera up with nigerian kids on the way again :)

cindyg

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, so sorry to hear that, you did a great job with her. In the interest of knowing what can/might happen, how do you know there is still another kid and when you say her uterus coming out, do you mean a prolapse? How can you tell? And, the first kid, how did you know it was not ok, even before it came out? Hope you don't mind the interest, and it doesn't come across as goulish. I've only had one kidding where I felt I needed the vet and that was because she had been pushing a long time with her second that wasn't positioned at all for delivery. I know you have tons of experience and I learn so much that hopefully, I'll not ever need but good just in case.

rebelINny

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh my :( I'm so sorry! I thought it looked like a tough birth. Glad you got the doeling out and doing good though. Crossing my fingers for Explosive. Hope she pulls through and does well despite a rough time. Hugs to you and good job!

nigeriandwarfgoats

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
cindyg said:
Oh, so sorry to hear that, you did a great job with her. In the interest of knowing what can/might happen, how do you know there is still another kid and when you say her uterus coming out, do you mean a prolapse? How can you tell? And, the first kid, how did you know it was not ok, even before it came out? Hope you don't mind the interest, and it doesn't come across as goulish. I've only had one kidding where I felt I needed the vet and that was because she had been pushing a long time with her second that wasn't positioned at all for delivery. I know you have tons of experience and I learn so much that hopefully, I'll not ever need but good just in case.
I don't mind the questions at all..
You probably couldn't tell on camera but the first kid was coming out legs first..tiny tiny legs about the thickness of two toothpicks put together and there was no movement with the kid at all and it wasn't even coming out in a bubble like you would normally see. When I got it the kid out, it was tiny and had no eyeballs. The second kid coming out came head and neck first with no front legs presented which makes it harder for mom to push out..I cleared the airway for the kid and cleaned the gunk of her face, then helped pull the kid out while mom pushed. That kid is big & healthy-no problems there. Then, Explosive pushed out a rock hard sac but it had little "button" like things all over it. I had a doe prolapse while I was at work about 4 years ago, her uterus had gotten torn open & flipped inside out before I came home so I had seen that those "button" like things called cotoleum--I'm sure I spelled that wrong--are all over inside the uterus. So when I saw the "buttons" all over, I got worried and I assumed the rock hard sac was a mummified kid but it hadn't opened and I couldn't see through it very well to make out what it was exactly. I gave it about 1/2 an hour and it was still just hanging there so I called the vet & brought her in. It turned out just to be the placenta and it was another tiny dead kid in it--the vet said it had probably died a few months ago. They then put some pressure on the placenta and pulled some of it out. They said to let mother nature takes it course to clear her out and keep Explosive on antibiotics for at least 7 days to make sure she doesn't get an infection.
If anyone wants to see what the dead kid looked like for reference if case you ever run into this issue, e-mail me at pelicanacres@gmail.com and I'll send you a photo.

2goats8kids

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Wow. That was an instructive story, thanks so much for taking the time to tell it. Congratulations on the healthy doe, and hoping Explosive comes out of it happy and healthy - a relief that it wasn't a prolapse!

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Oh my! I hope Explosive is o.k. Did the first little one live or die? I'm going to have nightmares now. Do you have any ideas of what happened?

nigeriandwarfgoats

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Explosive is doing great :)
The vet said it was probably just a fluke since I've never had it happen with any of my other kiddings.
There is a disease called toxoplasmosis that can cause mummification in goats from cat feces. We don't have any cats here & I asked the previous owner if they had any which she didn't. She said she had bought some alfalfa hay from a farm with a ton of barn cats and she is panicked that possibly Explosive had picked something up from eating that hay. She has some other goats due this week so if any of them happen to end up with mummis, we'll go with that assumption then. Hoping it was just a random experience though.

rinksgi

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks so much. I know it must be difficult to talk about it, but I appreciate the information.

Latest posts