Bathing rabbits??

ChickenPotPie

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Corn starch works great for cleaning messy wool. I'm sure you'll use is a lot if you show. lol

For stains? Well, get as much of the dirty mess out as you can. You might need to try something different to get the stains out. I wash the feet, and sometimes - heads, of my Woolies to get stains out. I use Absorbine horse mane and tail whitening shampoo. But for Angoras whose wool is very important......? Their wool is different so I'd be afraid getting their body wool wet would mess up their wool.

So, sorry, not sure what to recommend for stain removal for your breed. :/

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
shelly_tn said:
ChickenPotPie - so the corn starch really works???

I just bought two Giant Angoras - the Doe's wool/fur is 1-2 inches long and the Buck sprayed pee on her and it was just awful. I tried a damp wash cloth and that just did not really seem to help. she still had yellow stains on her fur. I keep wondering how others with really furry bunnies like the Angoras clean the fur when things like that happen?

And I let them out of the cage to exercise on the tile floor and they pee like crazy and step in it , so they do have yellow paws too. Will they eventually clean their yellow paws - because it just doesn't look right a white rabbit with pee paws and pee'd on fur. Yikes!
Angora wool is SOOOO easy to clean. Wait 3 months and it fall out! :D

dbunni

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Just an FYI ... Giant Angoras are the non shedders as a general rule. Unless they have been mixed with one of the other breeds to create a color. They were created to be a non molting, cut style animal. They do shed a little, but not like English or some French. Trim the dirty off, and if in a private area, keep it short.

tortoise

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
dbunni said:
Just an FYI ... Giant Angoras are the non shedders as a general rule. Unless they have been mixed with one of the other breeds to create a color. They were created to be a non molting, cut style animal. They do shed a little, but not like English or some French. Trim the dirty off, and if in a private area, keep it short.
Thanks - did not know! I don't have any interest in the other angora breeds, I did know there was non-molting but I thought that was only German. My aunt had German angoras - that is the only way I knew!

mkearsley

Just born
Reaction score
I just got some young rabbits & their previous living conditions were horrid. They reek of urine. Is it best to let them clean themselves up or should I bathe them? Today is Day 2 of Rabbit Ownership :)

hollandloplover

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
don't give rabbits baths it washes off good oils on them! They are very good at cleaning themselfs.

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I agree with what's been said here; rabbits are general very good at keeping themselves clean, especially if their living conditions are kept clean.
Cornstarch works wonders and so does Clear Eyes for horses. My sister showed a charity meat pen last year with new zealands and the day of the show one of them got peed on and it stained. Luckily another showman had both the cs and clear eyes on hand and we spot cleaned.