Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prices were the worst I’ve ever seen. Several people “no sales” their goats and sheep and took them back home. Not me. I’m glad to be rid of them. The lambs were small, and pathetic looking. Dirty from all the rain and mud, they just didn’t look good. The highest price I got for lambs was $58, lowest was $30. Young goats didn’t do much better. There were 2 big blackface rams, bids were under $300 and the lady said she wanted $500. No sale.

They are off my feed bill. Move forward.

My friend had the best time! We walked the catwalk over the holding pens and she enjoyed looking at the cattle. There were some longhorn bulls, massive with huge spreading horns. We watched cattle being unloaded and sorted into pens.

We watched some of the cattle auction. Bulls, fertility tested, 1700 pounds and up, went for $1800 to $2500. That seemed low.

They started on 50 angus cows from one ranch that were open after breeding. That had to be a bad hit. When they started selling those, we went to the cafe and got cheeseburgers. She had a blast and made it fun for me as opposed to being alone and getting diddly-squat for my lambs. Oh well.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry about the lamb prices. That's bad.... but with conditions, and the situations so crazy around the country, I guess it was to be expected....
Yeah, you move on, and they are off the feed bill.... better than burying anymore too...
Around here, late July, and August used to be the 2 months we could pick up some cheaper calves... oddball stuff that people just wanted to get rid of. Then in Sept, there will start being calves pulled off cows/pastures... and with the dry here, there have already been some getting shipped. It will be an interesting fall.

Glad your friend enjoyed it and you had fun company.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's a low ball but -- like we all know, it happens. I'm taking 3 bucklings next Sat a week. Whatever I get is fine because they're gone! Crossbreds, so no use for them. The full bloods will do ok, when I sell them. 🤷 Except for beef, it's been a less than great yr of sales. Before Easter, now those sheep & goat sold well around here.

My bucks are arranging for me to have early Jan kids!! Rut is here... 🥴. Today, I'm not feeling any excitement over early kids to plan for 🫤 too hot for any of it. Almost midnight & 78* outside.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There weren’t any good sheep other than the black face group that one lady brought and she took the 2 rams home. The rest were scrubs, including mine. Lots of Nigerian Dwarfs, the lowest selling was $28. Minus the $11 commission, that didn’t even pay for gas.

I would have made more taking them to Waco, but that is 3 hours away and I didn’t have enough to make the trip worthwhile. I took scrubs to a scrubby auction. I wish there was a west Texas style auction closer. These prices are lower than winter and early spring through March prices. But that is to be expected.

IMG_7005.png