Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I sure hope so! Grandparents are special and I was blessed with mine. When I was about 6 years old, my Great Grandmother showed me how she made hook rugs. Fast forward 30 years, Mamma Wall long gone, and my grandmother gave me 2 old hook rugs out of her attic. Brittle, in disrepair, and I was thrilled. Because of what she showed me many years before, I was able to repair and restore them. I’ll go get a picture!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here they are. Well over a hundred years old, I treasure them.

IMG_4995.jpeg

IMG_4996.jpeg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Those are gorgeous and treasures too.
My grandmother did a lot of embroidery and crewel. I have some of things, but the largest is a tulip tree she embroidered - my DS and DDIL have it hanging in their home. It looks perfect there. Lots of great memories of her.

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
OHMYGOSH!!!! Those are works of ART!!!!!
When you say hooked, do you mean little pieces of yarn looped in a canvas?? We used to do a craft called latch hook.... but it was never ANYTHING as beautiful as those!
Just little rinkydink things like this
Screenshot_20230910_183354_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
No, not yarn. She used strips of wool fabric, burlap, and a hook with a wooden handle. I remember her using burlap with a printed pattern but the colors were her design.

She also made smocked pillows. She drew the pattern on fabric and did beautiful smocked pillows.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Going this morning to get feed. My truck is in the shop, it has issues. Getting the fuel gauge fixed, it’s stuck on empty. Drives me nuts. The lights have gone stupid, won’t cut off, have to pull the fuse. That is a problem. Hope I get it back before Saturday so I can haul the ram lambs to auction. Taking son’s 89 F250 diesel this morning, it also has a non working fuel gauge. It’s a 5 speed, I quit manual transmissions years ago due to my left knee. I just don’t like them any more. Son said take his truck to haul lambs to auction and I’m not crazy about that idea. I want my truck back! So first thing is to go to Apple Springs and make sure tank is filled up before I go to the feed store 58 miles away.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gotta go through Huntsville to get to Conroe, so yesterday I took the girls to the Sam Houston Memorial Park. There is a museum too, but we didn’t go in that. There are old log buildings, some with dog runs on the middle. At times, they have living demonstrations with a full blacksmith shop, spinning, soap making and things that were essential to early Texas. The old log homes are scattered about in a park setting. There is a creek running through and a duck pond. Feral chickens and cats make it their home. There is even a garden, growing what would have been a homestead food source.

The best of all is Sam Houston’s house that he was living in when he died. The Steamboat House. It is one room wide, 2 story, with each room opening onto the railed porch.

View attachment 101400

View attachment 101399

The girls loved all the old log homes, climbing narrow stairs to reach the second dog run landing. Rooms were not open, but had plexiglass over the doorways so people can look in. It was fun, and I taught them a bit of Texas history. Sam Houston won the Battle of San Jancinto against Santa Anna, winning Texas freedom from Mexico. He was Texas’s first President.
It has been ages since I have been there... nice to see the photos, thanks for sharing.

I am impressed with those rugs.