Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I set a bale of hay yesterday, that always takes awhile because I have to take apart the hog and cow panels, clean out the old hay, set the bale and put it back together. Before I did that, I dropped the box blade, hitched the disc, moved it away from the dead tree, dropped it and hitched the hay spear.

Yesterday I worked on the fence by the dead tree. I machete chopped the blackberry wines, cut the T-post clips. There was 3 strands of bob wire and a span of concrete wire.

IMG_4917.jpeg

I had to fight the blackberry vines and trumpet flower vines, but I got the bob wire pulled out and rolled up. Then I pulled the concrete wire, machete chopping to get it free.

IMG_4918.jpeg

I tried to pull the T-posts, but only got one. The ground is so dry, it’s like concrete. I’ll have to dig around the posts a little and water them to soften the ground.

IMG_4919.jpeg

I’ll give the rolled up wire to someone with livestock, for patching fence.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The owner of the land behind me and the woods on the side of the house is having it logged off. I done know if it will be selective cut or clear cut. The big equipment showed up yesterday morning. I walked up to the gate to talk to a guy sitting there in a dually. I told him my usual about the dogs, explaining that they were livestock guard dogs, not friendly, don’t try to pet them, don’t look at them or make eye contact.

Soon the big trucks and equipment showed up. Dogs hated them. They barked and ran the fence line.

IMG_4913.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

IMG_4915.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some times I hook a chain to the FEL, wrap it around post a few times and pull it up. Fencing is hard, dirty work -- going in or coming out!

Gosh, the attachment on & offs was a days work, Bay! That's the slowdown for me. They're heavy, tedious, uncooperative pieces of metal. You have to be a contortionist to get to the PTO 😖, not to mention muscle bound. And some have several morebars to attach & adjust. BUT -- it's a gotta do thing! I hate switching them out! Believe it or not, my backhoe is the easiest to switch out. Those hydraulic line connections can be temperamental sometimes 🤷 but only 2, so it's good. The rest I can generally line up and slide right into.

Ya did a nice job, gal 👍

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Now I got to take down the fence and pull T-posts and I’ll be ready for the tree to come down.
The right person could take that down and not touch the fence ;)
Of course if I did it, there would be tree ALL over the fence!

Hey ohios looking good most guys are done with 4th crop hay and will.get a 5th
Wow, if we get 2 we are doing well.

I tried to pull the T-posts, but only got one. The ground is so dry, it’s like concrete. I’ll have to dig around the posts a little and water them to soften the ground.
Yeah t-post puller. I have the "stand alone" version. Works great because it hooks under the nubs maybe 2.5-3 feet above the ground. Lifts them straight up and out.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a T-post puller and I love it! Don’t like using the tractor, as I usually bend them. I have a whole line of them to pull this winter when the ground is soft.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
On taking a break. Ram the ewe crew through the chute this morning and took fecals on most of them. Got some skinny girls. Having lambs on them, the terrible heat and no grass has taken its toll. I need to see where they are on parasites. Unlimited hay, feed twice a day, but several just look bad.

As I worked them, I let them out on the field. They are so darn happy! That tiny bit of rain made the Bermuda sprout out with new growth and they are eating that. I’m just gonna let them make a day of it. Poor girls. I’ve just walked around with them, enjoying them enjoying the grass. Buford is behaving himself.