Baymule’s Journal

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor Bruno. I gave him a long bath last night, shoved him in again today then brought him to the VET?!?:eek: Too bad he found a dead skunk before his annual visit.
20230901_145801.jpg

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Guessing the shear thing the loggers are using is a tree eating machine like they used on the grove next to me (but of course missing the eater chipper part then it would be mulch at best. ;) I know the thing here was quite a beast.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just finished processing fecals. Wow, and not in a good way. This heat, drought, no grass and throw lambs in the mix and my poor ewes are not in good shape. They are about what I expected, not good, but not at deaths door. Some look better than others, but are still at a level I'm not real proud of.

I have one shining star in the bunch, Nova, triplet daughter of Miranda and Ringo. Her count in April was zero. Her count today was ZERO! I just weaned ram lambs off her 2 weeks ago. Nova is skinny, but I am amazed that she has had lambs, terrible heat, no grass, no rain, on dry lot, and a ZERO worm count. She needs to have some ewe lambs, so I can keep them. Her sister Tiny had 2 worm eggs in April for a count of 100, today her count is 1,450. Just weaned twin rams off her 2 weeks ago. Not good, but it could be worse. I didn’t get a sample from Nora, the other triplet, but I will tomorrow.

Also, I have no other pastures to rotate them on, due to fence. They have been on this same pasture since August 29 of last year. All things considered, it’s not good, but it could be a whole lot worse. Fr all my girls have been through, especially the past 2 months, I’m gonna say that I am proud of them.

I have 4 ewes that still have 1 ewe lamb on them.

Was going to take ram lambs to auction tomorrow but the truck lights are a screwy mess, will get that fixed next week. Will be 2 weeks before I can take them. Have nowhere to wean off the ewe lambs, so that will have to wait.

I tested 2 of the Texas Five from @Ridgetop and they are good.
B30 in April had a count of 150. Today is 500
B40 in April had a count of 100. Today is 850

I’ll be out in the morning, worming sheep and taking fecals on 6 that I didn’t get.

This coming week I’ll have my granddaughters, so I’ll test Coopers group the following week.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
With the stress of the move, heat, and lambing you should not be too disappointed in a small worm load. In this heat they are probably not eating as well as they would in cooler weather. Next testing cycle will give you a better idea of where they are.

Congrats to Nova! Keep up the good work!