Best Breed for Meat

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I use the Florida white as they are a solid block of meat with a head and hide. They are easy to process and handle as their size is do-able for anyone.
I have a male that throws very nice personable rabbits that makes all care easier.
My adults eat right around a 1/2 cup of food per day and the adults with kits are free fed around 1 1/2 cups per day. The meat is amazing!
And the cost is do-able. My animals have a very good life and only one bad second... much better then the rest of our food.
Storeys guide to meat rabbits is a good investment along with "you can farm"
Off the grid is not a bad thing....

Lorelai

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Citylife said:
I use the Florida white as they are a solid block of meat with a head and hide. They are easy to process and handle as their size is do-able for anyone.
I have a male that throws very nice personable rabbits that makes all care easier.
My adults eat right around a 1/2 cup of food per day and the adults with kits are free fed around 1 1/2 cups per day. The meat is amazing!
And the cost is do-able. My animals have a very good life and only one bad second... much better then the rest of our food.
I'm always so fascinated when you talk about your Florida Whites. I've never seen any for sale in my area, but next week is fair week, and I'm making the trip pretty much only to check out the rabbit barn. :hide But who knows what we might find! I would love to know how big your litters are, what age you butcher at, how much they weigh before butchering, and how much meat you get on average per rabbit once it's dressed out. :)

lexibot

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I also have nzw in southern missouri (100 miles from ar border) this year it got up to 125 degrees while i had ice bottles which mine love the rabbits will survive in mid 90s with hardly an issue, but because its more comfort i gave them their air conditioning around 85 degrees

Citylife

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Lorelai said:
Citylife said:
I'm always so fascinated when you talk about your Florida Whites. I've never seen any for sale in my area, but next week is fair week, and I'm making the trip pretty much only to check out the rabbit barn. :hide But who knows what we might find! I would love to know how big your litters are, what age you butcher at, how much they weigh before butchering, and how much meat you get on average per rabbit once it's dressed out. :)
Thanks Lorelai.
Most of the litters in my experiance were 5-8 kits. I would butcher at 12 weeks and processed product was about 1.5 lbs. which feeds the two of us twice. Not bad is all I can say to that.
I have switched breeds in the last 6 months. Demand has become higher and I wanted rabbits with more kits. I do not normally weigh them before butcher, so my guess is about 3 lbs.
I raised the FW's for over two years and enjoyed them, now for my new venture.