best colors when breeding for pets?

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
hi all you experience rabbit folks - newby rabbit breeder here.
I've started with rabbits for meat, however, I may occasionally sell some as pets, especially if I have some that have particularly personable attitudes. since color is something I could be selective about without altering my main purpose, I'm wondering if in your experience, there are particular colors that sell especially well in the pet-rabbit market?

SmallFarmGirl

Smiley Crazy
Reaction score
zzGypsy said:
hi all you experience rabbit folks - newby rabbit breeder here.
I've started with rabbits for meat, however, I may occasionally sell some as pets, especially if I have some that have particularly personable attitudes. since color is something I could be selective about without altering my main purpose, I'm wondering if in your experience, there are particular colors that sell especially well in the pet-rabbit market?
I don't know but, I hope some else knows! I would go for spots and cute colors. I think children or pet rabbit owners would prefer A interesting color or variation.

crazyturkeydesigns

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
The only color we've had people cringe at is the Red eyed white mini rex...we've got a lot of eww that looks like a rat or it's so creepy with its red eyes :lol: I'd say go with whatever you have! In my experience people love buns, no matter the color. :D

secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
No solid whites and NO REW! Like my fiance calls them, devil rats.
I'd think the more rare and unique colors would sell best. Brown, light brown, black and white[brokens] & black are way too common and I even don't think them all that cute anymore.

ibreedlionheads

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Anything broken, preferably an agouti broken rather than a self broken.

flemish lops

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Different people like different colored rabbits. Some think the red eyes look scarry while others think it look very cool. I guess when I have some rabbits to sell the broken colors are almost always the first to go (especially the broken white and brown) .

bunnylovincowgirl

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I agree with broken being the most popular. Tri and harlequin are, too.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
My Lionhead doe Lola had a litter with two Magpies and two Harlequins in color. They got so much attention. Chocolates are also a big deal here and rare in the area. That being said, "blue" in any animal is always popular and Chinchilla is getting popular in other breeds too. We have a Chinchilla-colored doe that comes from a five-or-six-generations-ago cross with a Chinchilla and Lionhead. She's gorgeous and totally Lionhead in type and build and the color and fur quality are totally Chinchilla. I would LOVE to get some broken chins out of her at some point. I think they'd be cute. If none of this is an option, brokens always please a crowd.

CYG

TheSheepGirl

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Most of what I have interest in are those with little white feet or white spots on color or vice versa. Any that look cute to you probably are cute and will be sought after in the pet trade.