Best flock for me?

jhamblin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would love to get a small flock, but I am not sure what breed is best for me, I have two acres and would like to know if someone has any suggestions? I would prefer something not very aggressive.

Thanks,
James

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would vote for either Dorpers or Katahdins...or a cross...have two Dorpers and two Katahdins and a cross of the two...could not ask for more gentle, playful and very sweet sheep...yeah...I do love them:)) Also, going with a hair sheep rather than a wool sheep or dairy sheep is by far easier.
Good luck with getting sheep that you'll love...I really can't imagine not having sheep!!! They are wonderful animals and except for the ram, we love them up and enjoy that they each have their very own personalities. I feel kind of sad to not be playing with the ram, but we learned the hard way that it is a big mistake...still...he is such a friendly fellow and it is tempting, but so far we are doing this right.
Let us know when you get your sheep and photos too please!!!

Bonnie

EllieMay

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I, too, plan to get some Katahdin sheep.

My reasons are:

- no shearing
- easy birthing
- good mothering instincts
- parasite resistant
- good meat
- no tail docking
- and they're cute!

:D

Ms. Research

Herd Nerd On A Mission
Reaction score
EllieMay said:

My reasons are:

- no shearing
- easy birthing
- parasite resistant
- good meat
- no tail docking
- and they're cute!

Have to agree with EllieMay. As a newbie, to be successful, a breed like this will be easier to learn about and get "hands on" experience. With livestock lots of learning curve. No instant gratification. It takes time. And knowing what breed is right for you is a Step in the right direction for successful husbantry.

Looking forward to that "hands on" experience. :)

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
In order for us to really help you, we need to know what your goals or "wants" are! Are you looking for fiber animals? Meat? Lawnmowers? Where do you live? Climate can help dictate which breeds will do best in your area.

jhamblin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would like something for meat, Fiber would be ok as well, Maybe both...I live in southwest Ohio, Thanks for the input!!

jhamblin

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ms. Research said:
EllieMay said:

My reasons are:

- no shearing
- easy birthing
- parasite resistant
- good meat
- no tail docking
- and they're cute!

Have to agree with EllieMay. As a newbie, to be successful, a breed like this will be easier to learn about and get "hands on" experience. With livestock lots of learning curve. No instant gratification. It takes time. And knowing what breed is right for you is a Step in the right direction for successful husbantry.

Looking forward to that "hands on" experience. :)
Are these sheep naturally polled? Because I like the sheep with horns......Everything else sounds great!!!, Oh and Ms. Research, are you hitting on me? :lol:

RustyDHart

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Scottish Blackface......the breed is over 800 years old.....from the Highlands of Scotland. Very hardy, great mothers, long fleeces, both sexes have horns, and no two look alike in their face and leg patterns, and they are great foragers....surviving where some other breeds would not do as well.
3034_sheep_2011_054.jpg
Here are a few other photos of the breed here at the farm....the ugly one in the middle is me.....
3034_collage15_3.jpg
Here is some of my Scottish Blackface flock.....
3034_sheep_2011_029.jpg