Best flock for me?

jbourget

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jhamblin said:
What are the genetics of the Jacob's horns?? Is there a 4 horned and 2 horned verity or are they one and the same?
They are capable of having anywere from 2-7 horns.

jbourget

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
jhamblin said:
What I would like is a flock of sheep and a herd of goats that can produce fiber meat and milk, so I am trying to find a couple breeds that I can get all of that, Yeah, I know, i am complicated... I am just trying to find the most for my money....:idunno
you will find that sheep nor goats will bring you a profit. unless you are maybe a big rancher? it is purley the love and hobby for me. Save back your ewe lambs so you dont have to purchase new stock....

zzGypsy

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
there are folks out here in MO making money with goats and sheep , but they are raising animals for the meat market, and they have pasture. (both large and small producers).
if you're just looking for maximum value for your $ spent on your home sheep/goats, not for market sales, then you really need to decide what you want from them... that is, what "value" means in your situation.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
you will find that sheep nor goats will bring you a profit
That depends on how you define profit. I define profit anything over and above what you paid for feed that year and, eventually, recouping the cost of the original breeding stock.

Now then, if you have a local market for grass fed sheep, as my friend does, you can make a tidy profit on your finished lambs by merely butchering it yourself and selling it to friends and coworkers. She sells her lamb haunches for $50 a piece and saves the rest of the lamb for her family. She has a large family, so this additional meat to her freezer is a bonus.

This year she will have 3 ewe lambs for herd growth and 5 ram lambs to butcher~yielding $500 profit just in rear ends alone, not to mention the ewes she does not have to purchase to increase her flock. She makes her own hay, so she is not out much in the way of money for feed, as she only feeds grass and hay.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
If you want meat most people around here raise suffolks. Personally for what you want i'ld get rambouillets or horned dorsets. They produce good meat lambs and have great quality wool. These are fairly large sheep compaired to most though, and aren't for people who don't like dealing with 200lb ewes.

77Herford

The Farm Zookeeper
Reaction score
jbourget said:
jhamblin said:
What I would like is a flock of sheep and a herd of goats that can produce fiber meat and milk, so I am trying to find a couple breeds that I can get all of that, Yeah, I know, i am complicated... I am just trying to find the most for my money....:idunno
you will find that sheep nor goats will bring you a profit. unless you are maybe a big rancher? it is purley the love and hobby for me. Save back your ewe lambs so you dont have to purchase new stock....
Icelandic sheep would be my choice for what you want.
http://www.icelandicsheepworld.com/whyicelandics.htm