Best Kid frendly breed

hoosiersphynx

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am looking for some pet rabbits for my 4 kids. I am unsure what breed would be best for them. Please if you know some breeds that are good with kids would you let me know. Also how can I find the breed that I am looking for? I am located outside of Lafayette In and have only found 1 place that sells them.
Rebecca

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
Are you looking to breed the rabbits? Do you plan to keep them indoors or outdoors?

If you are going to keep them as indoor pets, I would highly recommend going to a rescue and adopting spayed/neutered rabbits. Many rescues will also be honest about the temperament and litter habits of the rabbit. There is a chapter of HRS in Indiana. Here is their website. http://www.indianahrs.org/

If you are going to breed them or keep them outdoors, then usually the larger meat rabbit breeds are calm and good for children.

hoosiersphynx

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I found some today. I have a Netherland Dwarf male and a Black Spot? witch is suppose to be a male also but not 100% sure. I have been looking for the Black Spot breed but have found nothing. The are outside but will get played with everyday. I have 4 kids that will want to play with them. I plan on bringing them in side when the weather gets colder.

CrimsonRose

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Rabbits actually do better outside in the winter than they do in the summer... I lost a few to the heat when I first started out but have never lost one to the cold...

If you want a calm rabbit I suggest Flemish Giants... They are by far my favorite for temperament... They are very laid back and easy to catch when the kiddos forget to latch the cage back :lol: (this is very important for me since my 3 yr old loves to pet the bunnies and never closes the door when she is done...)

HeatherM

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There are many breeds that are good with kids. I'm assuming the "black spot" might actually be an English Spot? Most breed of rabbit, especially the larger ones, are calm and do well with small children. My ten year old brother has a little Netherland Dwarf and he loves it.

Latest posts