Best way to tame a new calf?

newmomma

Just born
Reaction score
I have a 5 day old dexter calf. Healthy and doing great. I had 4 in my new heard, all just a little more than yearlings, 2 steers, 1heifer, and now 1 cow with baby ginger that makes 5. All eat from my hand but only 1 steer will let me put my hands on him which makes things a lot easier when it comes to treating them, checking them....... Momma is actually the most skiddish of them all but she let's me pet baby fine. As baby is getting more agile, she is starting to shy away a bit. I want to halter train her and have been reading a bit on previous posts. I am a little afraid to try to halter her so soon because she is so small ( smaller than my 45 lb do ). From what I've read, the sooner the better, so the plan is to go in and try to get the halter on her and spend a small amount of time with her while she's in it and then remove it until the next day and do it again. I really want to know if 1- is she big enough,2- is there anything I can do to lure her to me? I don't want to freak her out and make things worse. Momma loves cubes so that works okay enough for her, but I've never considered haltering her ;0). Bribes just make things so much easier.

Any advice?

~D