Boone-My Anatolian Unicorn

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Instinct has been keeping Boone up at night. Oddly, the ranch dogs can all be barking and he will ignore them, and just sigh, or maybe he will open the back door for a better listen. Then other times, he squirts out of the house like a rocket and soon there will be a mighty roar.
It makes him sleep more soundly during the day, but doesn’t stop him from being my shadow.
IMG_9829.jpeg

In the craft room while I cut out a dress pattern for Caroline…

IMG_9824.jpeg

Out in the 3 sided shed while I sprayed Mister for flies and put conditioner on his brittle tail

IMG_9833.jpeg

Keeping me company while I read

IMG_9841.jpeg

Enjoying his 3 oversized seat spaces while Fen enjoys 1/2, as we ate dinner…

Just can’t say enough about this gud boi…

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
They had a small (really, really small) Farmers market on the lakebed today. One of the ladies there said she had Anatolians most of her life. Turns out she is a professional dog trainer and specializes in Service Dogs. She had many nice things to say about Boone and his behavior. It really felt good. ❤️

IMG_9865.jpeg

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went to Burns yesterday. Spent several miles trying to adjust Boone’s safety vest and finally tethered it to the car seat thing behind the back seat. Made the trip much better for all of us.

IMG_9953.jpeg

We stopped by the vets office on the way in to weigh him and he’s 123 lb right now @ 11 mo old. I don’t expect him to get a whole lot bigger. 🤞🏼 Then we went to the ranch store first this time, so Boone got to walk a lot and visit all his friends while he decompressed from the drive. He loves going there, for obvious reasons as he loves being the center of attention.

He was much, much better when we stopped for lunch. He slept through most of it, was in a much more acceptable position and even put his front end under the table for a bit, which had all the waitresses laughing and they dragged the cook out to see him 😂
Most importantly though, we went for a sniffy walk around the building in case he had to pee, while Randy went in and got us a booth. There were two dogs in the back of the restaurant, one chained, one leaning out of a car window, barking and snarling at him. We walked a few feet out of their reach. I had approached slowly with Boone, having him sit several times to make sure he wasn’t reactive. He handled it all beautifully. I was quite frankly, amazed at him. ❤️

IMG_9989.jpeg

Once we went to grocery store he was getting a bit tired. All day people were pointing out that he is a big dog (as if I was unaware) He kept rubbing the halti off his nose so I had to keep bending over to put it on, so my glasses kept falling and I dropped my phone a few times. He was great about picking them up and handing them to me, unfortunately, once he managed to pick it up and while readjusting it in his mouth, a tooth got under the case and punched through the only spot that wasn’t covered by the protective glass so my screen has a hole in it. 😬😂

When he’s done. He’s done. Here is proof he is an Anatolian behaving more like a typical LGD breed😂

Last edited:

peteyfoozer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Boone has done such a great job combining his Service Dog bond with his Livestock Guardian heritage. He’s always at my side, but he does do short perimeter checks when he goes to relieve himself. At night, he wakes up from a seemingly sound sleep (but I know he sleeps lightly at night because he snores during the day 😂) and goes quickly and quietly to the backdoor. He opens it and observes for a moment, unless he’s certain he heard something that’s wrong, in which case he rushes outside. He does surprisingly little barking.
The only downside of this, is that he sleeps next to me, ON the bed and it’s not possible to sleep through his getting up or down.
Good thing we have a king size, since he’s 30” tall now at the shoulders and is at 125 lb. I’m not sure of his nose to tail length, but the position he sleeps in, he’s taller than Randy , with his hind feet all the way at the end and his head on the pillow. That = 3 full grown people in one bed 😂
When he first began to sleep with us, I thought Randy would object, but instead he reached over and skritched his shoulders. I think he has missed having Heathen with us as much as I do, even if Boone filling his spot is a little extreme. (Heath was only 46 lb. Fen doesn’t like to be petted or be that close)

IMG_0116.jpeg

IMG_0119.jpeg