Boss cows

Little Cow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Our boss cow, Trudi, is respectful but was always distant with us. She bosses the other cows, but she doesn't seem overly aggressive. Nonetheless, I've kept a critical eye on her for a couple years and hubby and I discussed culling her because of her 'attitude'. To be honest, she never did anything wrong towards us. In fact, none of our cows have ever tried to kick, swing their heads, or shove us. They have always been respectful.

So, last summer, Trudi developed an abscess at her vaccination site. We brought her in (first time she was away from the herd) and treated her. She was actually easy to handle. All my negative impressions faded away by the time she was ready to rejoin the herd. Since she's been back in the herd I see her behavior in a new light. I don't think she has changed. She is, well, bossy, but she's supposed to be. Taking a fresh look at her, she is actually rather judicious towards her underlings. Glad we didn't cull her.

What do you expect from your boss cows? Do you see a different attitude when they are alone? As long as they are respectful of you how much bullying behavior do you tolerate towards your other cows?

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A lead cow is good to have. Some will even put a bell on the lead cow as, usually where she is the others are close by.

As long as she respects you and isn't overly bossy to the others I would say, keep her. If she gets so she's keeping others from the food, beating on them to where she may hurt them, etc. then I would get rid of her. Otherwise, she's probably just showing the others she's boss and reminding them from time to time.

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
A good, bossy lead cow is very valuable here in the wide open spaces. We have problems with coyotes, coydogs, and feral dogs, to say nothing about the occasional cougar. I've seen these aggressive cows run half a mile to chase a coyote or dog out of the pasture, and the rest of the herd follows them, bellowing and acting tough.

If your cow is dehorned, there is little chance that she will seriously injure the others. Sure, they can push the others around a lot at the feeders, but the others seem to expect it, and soon learn to stay away when they should.

I'd say keep her.

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
jhm47 said:
A good, bossy lead cow is very valuable here in the wide open spaces. We have problems with coyotes, coydogs, and feral dogs, to say nothing about the occasional cougar. I've seen these aggressive cows run half a mile to chase a coyote or dog out of the pasture, and the rest of the herd follows them, bellowing and acting tough.

If your cow is dehorned, there is little chance that she will seriously injure the others. Sure, they can push the others around a lot at the feeders, but the others seem to expect it, and soon learn to stay away when they should.

I'd say keep her.
What he says!

I think I messed up when I butchered my No1 and No2 boss cows at the same time.
I watched my No.1 run a coyote down the valley one day, knowing she's not there any more, makes me worry about this years calves!

Also, when it came to trying to move the herd from field to field, or to the other feed bunk,(or into traps) nobody was there to give the OK moo!
They all stood there and look at me, like they had never seen me before?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
every herd has boss cows.an thats a very good thing.because as said they will follow the boss cow.an like the bull she watches over the herd.

English

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
My boss cow is also the most people friendly cow I have. She was a bottle baby and just loves human attention. There will always be a pecking order.

I expect mine to lead the others where I lead here. Changing pastures for me means a bucket with sweet feed in it. She absolutely loves sweet feed. I rattle the bucket, open the gate and walk to the other pasture. She will follow and the other cows right behind her.

Mike

MReit

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Oh what a fun topic! We have one of course, DH wanted to butcher her..teeheehee. I'm the only one she doesn't give a hard time, but I tell him time and time again she'll be a great mother and as long as she's good to me thats all that matters.
260_dsc00470.jpg

Thewife

Likes frogs
Reaction score
My boss cows were nut's!
I didn't have a problem with them and they did not bully the herd!
We had a good system! When it came to round ups, or traps, they would lead the herd into the corral or stall, then if I didn't open the gate and call them out, they would jump out!

Since they have been gone, I'm not sure who is the boss. Would my bull take that job over? Could that be part of the reason he's getting so "bully"?

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
no the bull is the overall boss of the herd.but every herd has a boss cow.

Little Cow

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
English- Our boss cow is the only one that doesn't like to be pet. She shies away. I think that's why I didn't appreciate her. However, like your boss, she follows the sound of grain rattling in a bucket and brings in the herd when I call. She does her job. :D